Pro Wrestling Only

WWE The Beast In the East Special... Live As It Happens

goodhelmet

OK, my wacky sleeping schedule is causing me to watch this live. Here's the reported card from the Observer...

Cesaro vs. Diego
Lucha Dragons vs. Big E & Woods,
Nikki Bella vs. Paige vs. Naomi for the Divas title
Jericho vs. Neville
Owens vs. Balor for the NXT title
Lesnar vs. Kingston
Cena & Ziggler vs. Kane & Barrett
Lets do this!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jericho vs. Neville

- Smart move opening with Jericho who was really over.

- Early on, I could appreciate the counters and each guy going tit for tat.

- I actually like the pace they are working. Not going too fast and allowing the crowd to rally them with their dueling chants.

- It makes sense that Jericho would be one step ahead and they are going for the “old dog is outsmarting the young gun” theme

- I really enjoyed the sequence where Neville fights off the superpplex, rolsl through his own 450, attempts a rana and gets caught in the Walls. Great stuff.

- Great nearfalls at the end with Neville hitting the flipping splash, Jericho nailing a lionsault and Neville getting nailed with the codebreaker off the springboard

- Jericho getting the knees up and locking on the Liontamer was a suitable end but Neville really should have grabbed the pin here.

- Super fun opener. A little sloppy early on but once they got going, this turned into a really good match. Thumbs up from me!

Eh, that finish was more for the live crowd than for the WWE Network crowd, and there are probably more people watching in Japan than on the Network right now. It wasn't a bad finish for a nostalgia match in a foreign country and Neville wasn't hurt at all by having a good match here.

I really digged that match. There was a bit of awkwardness between them at first, but Jericho played it off well. The counters and reversals made them seem somewhat familiar with each other despite never having wrestled. There was a weird spot where it looked like Neville completely no-sold a forearm from Jericho in the corner. The finishing run had some drama. When Neville climbed up to the top at the end I thought that he might get the win, but his delay before attempting the Red Arrow gave time for doubt to set in before the counter from Jericho.

Michael Cole's commentary seems a lot more tolerable than usual tonight. Vince must not be in the back producing him.

The idea that Cole put over Dragon Gate, FMW, and Bull Nakano (although said wrong) in the last 20 minutes tells me that he is working mostly solo which is how it should be. Also the fact that he is actually working with Saxton unlike in RAW where he spends 3 hours acting like he wished he was dead. Especially after correcting Cole

Nikki Bella vs. Paige vs. Tamina for the Divas title

- Shit, Tamina taking over for Naomi is going to make this match suck more than it would have

- I take that back, digging Taminia’s stiff clotheslines and headbutts.

- Actually this three way format is benefitting the ladies because they aren’t blowing their spots and really working stiff including those nasty knees by Paige on Nikki in the corner.

- Ref fucked up by not counting the first pin on Nikki after the corner car crash spot. Not going to penalize the girls for that.

- Nice sequence with the PTO locked in leading to a Tamina superkick leading to the missed splash.

- I can accept a pin after the missed splash but the finish fell a little flat. Either way, this was a thumbs up from me as well. Not great but good and way more than I was expecting.

That was a pretty nothing match. Some of the portions between Nikki and Paige were okay, but Tamina should just stop wrestling.

Maybe but she was pretty good here. Nice lariats early on, stiff headbutts, big splash, superkick, no blown spots.... all good.

Yeah, to be fair that reaction is based more off of past experience than this match. Her headbutts even looked better than Paige's. If she performs well in the "female Kevin Nash who works stiff and can do a splash" role then it could erase my bad memories.

I loved how Kofi started out by running away after his confident promos. He took a logical approach to taking Brock down once he got back in the ring; it just didn't work. The build to the first German suplex was nice, especially given how disgusting those bumps looked.