Pro Wrestling Only

[1979-01-07-Houston Wrestling] Harley Race vs Andre the Giant

Phil Schneider

This is exactly the kind of match I was hoping would show up when the NWA on demand service was pitched. Two absolute legends, guys with limited footage in their primes having an old school 35 minute 2/3 fall World title match. I am pretty sure there is no other footage of Andre wrestling for the NWA title, and I am also pretty sure this is the only version of this match up we have. First fall was pretty interesting with Andre really doing some nasty arm work, lots of twisting and pulling, a nasty looking hammerlock submission, the Anderson brother hammerlock body slam ect.. Harley gets dominated most of the first fall, but is able to get Andre to the floor and hit a nasty looking bodyslam on the concrete for the countout.

Second fall had Harley working a bear hug for some reason, Andre sold it well, but it is a conceptually odd move to use on a guy that much bigger then you. Andre makes a big comeback, hits a butterfly suplex and a big splash for the pin. Third fall is pretty short and has Harley bumped around the ring before deciding to bail to the floor, where he grabs Andre's legs so they both get counted out. Sort of a clever finish by Harley, although also sort of bullshit. Still a great match, cool chance to see both guys younger and spry, and neat to watch Andre work this kind of NWA title match.

• 3 weeks later...

I also really did not care for Harley doing a bearhug to Andre, it just looked ridiculous and I just couldn't buy it. They also did my least favorite transition in the first fall where Andre hit a vertical suplex but somehow hurt himself more than he hurt Harley. But they quickly got back in my good graces with Harley doing his big falling headbutt to downed Andre and wiping his own self out in the process. I really dug Andre's comeback after Harley was punching him in the corner but didn't really like the finish.

Still, this was a really good match and an interesting one because Andre did a lot of stuff in this one that's not "typical" Andre especially all the holds he worked in the first fall.

• 2 months later...

This was really good and a testament to Andre's greatness as he works ~25 minutes, makes his opponent look believable hanging with a 7 ft behemoth without losing his aura. He pretty much dominates the first fall locking in a variety of holds with his gigantic hands. I dug the spot where Harley knocks himself out with a diving headbutt as it further emphasized Andre's invincibleness. Andre is determined to work this like a title match, exemplified by him signaling to Harley that's it not a good idea for him to go "there" when Harley tries grabbing his hair from a bearhug. Harley mostly works this in desperation mode, going for weapons, distractions and attacking on the outside. Andre shows his sensibleness by concluding his series of arm/shoulder holds with a butterfly suplex to set up the finish. Nice symmetry with each fall escalating and finishing with a sequence on the outside. Body slam over the 3rd rope was crazy. 2nd and 3rd falls are really hard fought, showing some great toe to toe fighting and a great Andre comeback.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1979-01-07-Houston Wrestling] Harley Race vs Andre the Giant
  • 4 weeks later...

This was all right. There's a pretty clear and simple psychology involved when you take on Andre the Giant but it was interesting to see that interwoven with the NWA touring champ formula. Race isn't the greatest performer I've seen in a wrestling ring but he's a bit underrated when it comes to selling. He could do the big theatrical selling where you flop all over the place but he was also capable of selling pain in an understated way. What you might call a "wrestler's sell" where you sell a hold the way it should be sold (exactly where the pain is located.) Admittedly, his strength was immediate selling. He wasn't the best at long-term selling even in matches where it's clear that the action is heading somewhere and there's an overarching narrative to the bout. He also wasn't the best touring champ when it came to heel charisma, though he was clearly unpopular with some of the ringsiders who wanted Andre to break his arm. The bout is worth watching to see Andre challenge for the NWA belt if nothing else since challenger is a weird position for Andre to be in but it didn't surprise me much as a wrestling match. 

• 6 months later...

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Harley Race vs Andre The Giant - Houston 1/7/79

Probably the most famous match to be uncovered by the NWA On Demand Streaming Service of Houston Wrestling. 

First Fall: Andre kicks Harley's ass with a variety of holds!?! Yes The Giant acquitted himself as a master of arm psychology. Lots of great pro wrestling technique coupled with gargantuan size makes for an impressive visual as he is wrenching the arm of the champion. Harley does a great job putting his size over and the challenge of wrestling a giant. He takes a big back body drop early and powders. Pretty much any time he can break free of the Giant's grasp he powdered. He was really good at verbal selling while in the holds, really hollering. I thought he may have an opening when Andre hit a vertical suplex early and rung his own bell, but the Giant recovered and went back to work on the arm. I loved the butterfly suplex by Andre. Andre DIVES for the cover, but Harley evades. Andre crashes and burns hurting himself. I love the psychology when a behemoth can only hurt himself.  Outside the ring, Harley hits him with a chair and then HARLEY RACE BODYSLAMS ANDRE THE GIANT! HE DID THE IMPOSSIBLE! That's the sound of millions of Hulkamaniacs feeling betrayed and lied to. Harley takes the first fall by countout. Race 1-0

Second Fall: Andre is looking amazing in this. In this fall, we see a lot more badass offense from the big man. As the fall begins, Andre is recovering on the outside. Harley tries to press the advantage and is met with a Giant-size headbutt that sends him flying. Andre gets back in the ring. Harley starts using some nice uppercuts. Then he bearhugs Andre. It looked like Andre called the spot to me. It has been pointed out this looks ridiculous and it does, BUT Andre does sell the hell of it and that makes it great. Harley gets Andre on his back with the bearhug to get some nearfalls and Andre uses his tree trunk legs to wrap him up in a bodyscissors. This is where it gets good. Harley is hollering as Andre squeezes. Andre gets him over for a nearfall and Harley makes the ropes. Andre works over the back. He is just chucking Harley around but his mobility has been compromised by his bad back (slam on concrete and bearhug). Also everytime, he hits a big move, Harley powders so he cant cover. On the third time, he goes out after the champion and brings him back in by BODYSLAMMING HIM OVER THE TOP ROPE WHILE ON THE FLOOR! That is impressive! Andre leaps with a big splash and this time he nails it to tie it up! Tied 1-1!

Third Fall: Is a bit of a letdown. Andre works over the back (he injured with bodyscissors) with some clubbing blows. Harley tries punching his way out of trouble, but that only makes the Giant mad. Andre hits headbutts and big only meaty rights. He even sits down on Harley. You knew the screwy finish was coming. Harley powders. Andre gives chase. Harley stops Andre from re-entering. Double Countout. 

I am all for screwjob finishes, but this one was just alright and the rest of 3rd fall was just alright. They did not finish on a high note. The first fall was cool seeing Andre work a bunch of NWA-style championship holds. The finish to the first fall was excellent; Andre hurts himself and Harley uses the outside to win. Second fall was a great Andre comeback fall. Andre has better matches in New Japan and Harley has the Funk match as the best match from Houston thus far, but this is still worth tracking down. ****1/4