Pro Wrestling Only

How would you rank these wrestlers?

Loss

I originally had this in Tony Anthony's thread, but I think it plays better as its own topic.

Brian Pillman

Tracy Smothers

Tom Pritchard

Buddy Roberts

Tommy Rich
Jeff Jarrett

Stan Lane

Brad Armstrong

Bobby Fulton

Robert Gibson

John Tatum

Eddie Gilbert

Lanny Poffo

Steve Keirn

Robert Fuller

Billy Joe Travis

Iceman Parsons

Eric Embry

Chris Candido

Dick Slater

Bill Irwin

Terry Taylor

Buddy Landell

Dutch Mantell

That's... a lot of wrestlers. I'll take a shot at tiers, then maybe come back and attempt a proper ranking.

I'll do it without thinking very hard about it at first, going off of first instinct and who I enjoy watching more in general.

Tier 1

Pillman

Smothers

Jarrett

Armstrong

Poffo

Candido

Taylor

Landel

Pillman might be the worst of the bunch, I suspect he'll fall lower than the rest if/when I rank them, and he might even belong on Tier 2. I'm way higher on Armstrong & Poffo than most people, I think both are criminally underrated. Terry Taylor is the best wrestler on the entire list. Come to think of it, i'm probably higher on him than most people, too.

Tier 2

Pritchard

Fulton

Gilbert

Keirn

Lane

Slater

Irwin

Rich

Maybe swap Pritchard with Pillman. Comfortable with the rest being a tier below my top tier.

Tier 3

Roberts

Gibson

Travis

Parsons

Embry

Mantell

Fuller*

Haven't seen a ton of prime Fuller, so I can only go off what I've seen. Probably would be fair to say the same about Roberts, but I saw all of the World Class stuff and he never impressed me at all and came off like "just a guy". Never "got" Embry, but that should shock no one who understands my taste. The rest are fine, but below the other tiers imo.

Tier 4

Tatum. He's terrible. Cant stand him. Go away heat.

Shocked that you dislike Tatum Joe as his persona feels like someone that would utilize some movie theater pick up techniques back in the 80's. His changed man stuff in 1990 was also tremendous.

Brian Pillman

Tracy Smothers

Eric Embry

Chris Candido

Tommy Rich

These are the five fighting for contention for my top 100 for the GWE. I am right in the peak of Pillman watching him in his 91-93 run the past year or so and he had some great stuff throughout as a face or heel, as a plucky underdog or going toe to toe as a junior.

Smothers has longeivity and still is entertaining to this day in the ring 28 years after some of his breakout performances in Continential. I would like to rewatch his stuff with the like of Bull Pain before I turn in my ballot.

Embry/Candido/Rich are great territory heels that can also be dynamic faces when called upon. I honestly think both of these will end up in the 90-110 slots.

Eddie Gilbert

Buddy Landell

Stan Lane

Tom Pritchard

Dutch Mantell

This is my tier two. All are guys I like a good deal but won't make my top 100. Lane may be the aberration as I seem to be higher on him than most but I do prefer his pairing of the MX and thought he was there with Eaton and brought a flashy dynamic that was needed.

Jeff Jarrett

Really awesome in the early 90's, still good later when given a chance, WAY overstayed his welcome.

Bobby Fulton

Buddy Roberts

Steve Keirn

Really good tag workers that can shine but don't have the standout singles stuff to push them higher. Keirn also at points can look real uninterested and methodical.

Robert Fuller

Dick Slater

Should probably see more but I like these guys.

Brad Armstrong

Robert Gibson

One person I have never gotten the hype for (Armstrong) and someone that was clearly carried by his partner (Gibson)

John Tatum

Billy Joe Travis

Awesome characters, not enough showcase stuff to gauge on tape.

Lanny Poffo

Terry Taylor

Solid hands but vanilla personalities overall.

Iceman Parsons

Bill Irwin

I don't like either of these guys very much at all.

I tried to do this as a list but I hit the middle and locked up so I'm going to use the same tier system.

Tier 1:

Buddy Landell

Tracy Smothers

Dick Slater

Chris Candido

Now, if I was doing a straight list format Buddy Landell would be my number 1. I admit to being slightly biased because I just watched his JCP run within the last year. He was just tremendous during that time frame.

Tier 2:

Tommy Rich

Dutch Mantell

Jeff Jarrett

Tom Prichard

Brian Pillman

Steve Keirn

Brad Armstrong

Eddie Gilbert

Robert Fuller

Terry Taylor

Lanny Poffo

I see all of these guys as extremely strong talents and some of the guys like Gilbert and Prichard are among my favorites.

Tier 3:

Eric Embry

Bill Irwin

Billy Joe Travis

Buddy Roberts

Stan Lane

John Tatum

Bobby Fulton

This is largely a group I'm indifferent towards. They don't offend me in any way but I also don't really go looking for their matches either.

Tier 4:

Robert Gibson

Iceman Parsons

My biggest takeaway from the Rock N Roll Express watching the last year is that Ricky Morton is a god of charisma. He made a completely mediocre talent in Robert Gibson part of something special. My 1985 JCP watch really exposed the fact that Gibson is probably one of the luckiest guys ever in wrestling. He couldn't talk and he wasn't anything special in the ring either. I can't think of many cases were one talent was so strong that he carried such an obvious weak link to such heights.