Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-10-20-WWE-No Mercy] Chris Benoit & Kurt Angle vs Edge & Rey Mysterio

Superstar Sleeze

Chris Benoit & Kurt Angle vs Edge & Rey Mysterio - No Mecy 2002 WWE Tag Team Titles

Here is an early 00s classic that I have never seen before. The Survivor Series Triple Threat made a DVD, but did not seem to get as much love as this did at the time. I will say this had a double hot finish stretch that in a very weak year for the wrestling world (guess I have not seen any ROH, but this is a weak Japan year) makes this a match of the year contender.

I love the Angle & Mysterio interaction early and definitely need to rewatch their Summerslam match. Angle is great as the cocky jock and the look on Rey's face when he realizes he needs to stomp on Angle's foot to break the waistlock is priceless. Mysterio was great at showing up Angle with speed and Angle was bumping and stooging for him so well. Benoit and Edge was fine. Credit where credit is due, Edge actually worked a nice, tight heel in peril based on Benoit's ribs and laid in his stuff well. They did a good job playing off some Angle interference with Benoit selling the ribs on the first one, which led to Angle getting speared off the apron, but on the third go around Angle caused enough damage to get Benoit out of there.

Edge is not particularly good at any one facet of wrestling, but in his defense he is not particularly bad at anything (I guess emotion is his greatest weakness). It is annoying that with Rey right there we get an extended FIP with Edge. I forgot about Angle's lame chinlock/bodyscissors. Angle and Benoit throwing Edge was fun. I know a lot of people don't like the rolling Germans, but I always dug them. Edge could have done more in the way of hope spots. The superplex is the transition of the heat segment and Little Rock does not give a fuck.

REY IS IN!!! The crowd is awake. Rey is rockin n rollin. Didn't love the set up for the leg drop while Benoit was dangling, but it was pretty sweet. Benoit counters the wheel barrow by splating Rey and then going for the Crossface. That is perfect counterwrestling. Edge saves and Rey looks 619, but Benoit counters looking for shoulderbreaker and Edge hits a nifty missile dropkick. That should have been his finisher! Zack Ryder is crying somewhere. Angle overuses that pop-up belly to belly, but when timed right in a match, it is the perfect interjection and this was one of those moments. That sets up the Rey FIP. Double Face in peril, shades of AWA!

Rey is so much better at selling than Edge. Loved Angle and Benoit throwing him around. Up until this point, I would say I watched a great match and the finish stretch does a great job to kick up a notch. I can see why action-oriented fans dig this match.

Edge is a decent hot tag. He has lame offense, but at least he showed some energy. Credit where it is due, he did hit one of his best spear ever on Benoit during this run. Rey was great double teaming with Edge and giving this run a bit more pep. Edge goes for the cover sees Benoit diving headbutt and lets Angle take it. I have always liked that spot in all its variations. Though nobody ever loses to the diving headbutt and nothing changes here.

In the spot of the match, Benoit has Edge in the Crippler Crossface and Rey hits an awesome 619 to break it up. I popped huge for that. Edge throws Rey Rey onto Benoit, before the usual Angle Anglelock reversalfest ends with Angle on top.

The Rey stuff was really awesome. He had really good chemistry with both Angle and Benoit. Edge was alright. I thought the finish stretch was hot. Needed more of a story hook to kick it into next gear for me. Still a very entertaining bout, even if a little overrated. ****1/4

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2002-10-20-WWE-No Mercy] Chris Benoit & Kurt Angle vs Edge & Rey Mysterio
  • 8 months later...

A bit disappointed with this, if I'm honest. After all the praise it gets from almost everyone you ask about it, the match should really live up to expectations but it honestly doesn't for me. Not the first time I watches it but it's been a while so it was almost fresh in my eyes. So what did I like about the match; I loved the arrogance of the Benoit & Angle duo - they know they are better and with them being together, they are in stoppable. The start with Angle and Rey was pretty awesome with Angle bullying Rey but Rey opting to stay in and take it to Angle. That stuff was great but now on to the stuff that I didn't like. The FIP sections of the match felt really weak to me. I didn't think they built to the hot tags particularly well and the work they did wasn't all that great. It was fine for what it was, but nothing special. The finishing stretch was decent but wasn't outstandingly good. Kinda rushed. Certainly not worth the praise it gets, I don't believe. **1/2

• 2 years later...

They're doing the whole unlikely bedfellows storyline with Benoit and Angle. They don't like each other, but they will get suspended if they attack each other. It made sense for them to not attack each other, but they could have worked in some miscommunication spots so they could build up some drama, which is something that I think this match ultimately lacks. The finishing stretch features some incredible spots and a break-neck pace. Rey and Edge work surprisingly well together as a tag team and Rey breaking up a Crippler Crossface with a 619 was easily my spot of the night. This is definitely overrated, but it's still an exciting showcase for four of the most interesting guys in the company at the time.★★★¾

• 3 months later...

I don't think this match stands out as much anymore with all the wrestling that came after it, but this was like nothing we had seen before in the WWF. What was the pinnacle of workrate in the WWF before this? The standard bearer was probably Steamboat vs. Savage. This type of match in the WWF was a brand new thing, and the amazing thing was that Vince was letting them do it. Finally, the WWF was letting these guys work workrate matches. I agree with the criticisms that there's not a lot of story in the match and that it could have been a lot better. I think Booker/Goldust vs. Jericho/Christian blows it out of the water in that regard. But I will say this -- when the WWF was at its nadir for in-ring work, and we were looking for scraps of anything good in a Hardy Boys vs. Brood TV match, there was no way we could have dreamed that this sort of match was in store for us. So, yes it is overrated now, but it's still a damn sight better than the ashes it arose from.