Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV for 9/7 to 9/13

Grimmas

Not having Rousey is a considerable loss. Bringing her into Cowboys Stadium - the site UFC wanted to run but elected not to in order to keep charging Vegas ticket prices - would have been a real draw. Yes, the Steph promos probably would have been self-indulgent garbage, but if she was gonna cower to anyone on Earth, it would be Ronda. Saying that they needn’t bother booking a massive star because they’d book it wrong is always a possibility, but wrestling almost never gets athletes in the prime of their career. Wrestlemania 24 with Mayweather - while a stacked card with other stuff going on - was the highest grossing show they'd ever had to that point, during a time when the company felt really dead. Fans of fight sports have grown weary of seeing Joe Frazier types in slow-motion referee roles. But that’s really different than having the credible babyface stars of an enormous movie like Furious 7 beating your top heels in a crowd-pleasing tag.

Wyatt’s lackadaisical push hasn’t been his fault. When he’s allowed to go out and have a savage fight, he’s usually damn good. I go back to the terribly booked finishes of his stuff with Taker, Ambrose, Cena, and all the other lame feuds he had. People wonder why he's not over, and it's because his matches rarely end definitively, despite stuff like him and Bryan having an awesome finish at Rumble 2014. As much as anyone he’s a victim of the repetition/redundancy/idiocy of the TV writing team. He's scripted to do the SOS every week, almost identically in its presentation.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try and see if they can't get Mayweather to come back again. Especially with him saying he's retired (although I doubt it sticks) they could sell it as the last time to see him in a ring. Of course his drawing power is even bigger now than it was at WM24 so he might be out of their price range.

What's odd is that he seemed like their lowest priority of the three during the days of The Shield.

He was the only one of the three who didn't really stand out beyond his ability as a worker, though. Teaming with Ambrose & Reigns was great for hiding his deficiencies.

I wouldn't say that. He had a clear role within the stable that he did well, and that was actually excellent when the Shield turned babyfaces. While Dean Ambrose was a surprise as a good FIP with the babyfaced Shield, I think Rollins stood out the most as the guy who actually wrestled a crowd pleasing style and was doing the highspots for the team. I think that emergence was why they thought he was a good candidate to turn and be the chosen one. But his style just never translated well for his character. He's the guy who is better off as a perpetual babyface as long as he refuses to change his style. Which is a shame as he is a good heel as a character.

But that is all ring-work. Ambrose was the talker and Reigns had the presence, Rollins didn't have a hook beyond "this dude can do some cool shit in the ring".

I should probably cross out "don't care". There's a lot of psychoanalysis that you can do with Triple H. Do they want him to wrestle like a face despite being a heel, because that's what satisfies HHH's ego with Rollins as his surrogate?

ESPECIALLY for that SummerSlam match which was just absurd, and of course it was against Cena, and I'm definitely working the conspiracy angle regarding HHH's resentment of Cena for being a much bigger star than he was. It's just a mess.

Well it is natural to assume that Triple H thinks endorsing what Rollins does as an in ring worker and calling him his protege would warp neophytic WWE fans into thinking that is what Triple H has been about in his own career. It sounds very tinfoil hat-ish but I wouldn't be surprised if Triple H continues to find ways to manipulate his legacy so to keep growing to justify the WWE's forcefeeding of him as one of the all time legends. Obviously one only has to watch any of his many plodding matches to know better but if he endorses what Rollins does, then by god he gets wrestling!