Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Live from MSG 10/2/15

goodhelmet

Orton/Sheamus was the opener for Summerslam in BK and did fine. Orton's actually a pretty good house show worker, but it's of course crazy that they didn't try to spice this up even a little bit. Half of these matches were presented to what will be much of the same crowd less than six weeks ago.

Orton/Ziggler vs. Sheamus/Rusev: Can't yet dismiss this as an episode of Smackdown, but so far it looks and sounds like one. Aside from the eye poke this wasn't anything special. Crowd seemed dead for an MSG opener until the finish. Faces are allowed to do a little more shtick and audience acknowledgment than usual. The post-match was more of a Rusev burial than a Sheamus face turn. Nothing worth worrying about, but still odd.

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jericho

- Really fun match but it felt like an ROH tribute show.

- After watching ROH back to back a couple of weeks, you can see some of the things the indy guys love doing within the match…. Enziguiris, gut kicking reversals into another reversal. Roll up pin

- This was good but not as good as the Owens match from Japan or the Jericho match from Japan for that matter.

Stardust vs. Neville: Not sure what to even say about this. Cody's maniac gimmick seemed to get no reaction. People liked the Red Arrow and didn't seem to care about everything prior to that.

Team Bella vs. PCB: Fine, but Bellas vs. BAD from SD was miles ahead of this. I stopped paying attention at certain points but I cop to continuing to give Paige the benefit of the doubt and actually liking her promo work, even when it's the indulgent faux-shoot stuff.

Jericho vs. Owens: Actually really enjoyed Owens audible heeling this time around. Solid match: I continue to inexplicably enjoy Jericho as a house show worker even though he botches spots and isn't anything special in-ring. Agree that both guys were better in Japan.

New Day-Dudleys: Holy hell that New Day promo was the highlight of the night. Probably of the week. Xavier was incredible here. So much good banter. "Don't touch me, dog." "Tricep meat." "An introverted man." "Shame." Loved that New Day kept the gold but feels like they're just delaying the title change until HIAC. But very entertaining, well laid out stuff from both teams, and New Day seem like the most over act in the company.

Brock-Show: Highlight was actually Brock's awesome selling of the chokeslams. I liked the story they told and was going to say that I only wish the match had been longer until Brock came back for more. Not because it should have been competitive, but because I'd have liked ten more suplexes. Only negative was the terribly out of place hushed tones from the announcers trying to get this over as something gravely serious and Eden having to randomly announce “Let's hear it for the Big Show!” for no reason.

It's pretty ironic: Cena overreacting to the notions that he can't wrestle has done a lot to make him someone who can't wrestle instead of one of the best in the world like he used to be.

This is a great post. He does feel like he's regressed badly in the past year as he's tried to "do more" at the expense of psychology and selling. But he's actually won some of the "Cena can't wrestle" goobers over to some degree. He was getting heavily praised on WF earlier this year before he won the U.S. title back and everyone started wishing he'd get a horrible injury again.