Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Live from MSG 10/2/15

goodhelmet

Tag match was acceptable stuff. Nothing more really. Crowd loved Randy. The Sheamus/Rusev stuff was shit, why does Rusev keep having to do this rubbish heel v heel stuff lately? Who benefited from that?

Stardust v Neville would have more effect if this wasn't the 60 bajillionth time they've met this month. I don't know why they do all this 90 second shit on Raw when something more like this, given breathing time and on a decent platform is loads better. Just a pity the crowd was pretty dead for it.

Women's match really pissed me off tbh. I thought it was ludicrous that they did this 6-tag on Raw in the first place, and to trot this out when you can get Nikki's rematch clause out of the way on this, just so so shit. Paige is a heel now! Everybody understands that! It really is like they wrote this angle in reverse. Intelligence insulting, time wasting, talent wasting crap. Ending was alright but was already fully disengaged by that point. We want Sasha indeed. Also I hate that I'm going on about this match more than anything else but The Bellas seriously got a bigger pop than the faces...Total Divas is some kayfabe breaking crap. I never tune in but saw recently they were making out Ziggler was trying to pull Nikki Bella, like what's the point of this show other than to break kayfabe and make people look like fools. I'm assuming TD is why Bellas get cheers, it's very irritating.

Owens v Jericho was very nice, for being different as much as anything. Some nice moments and chemistry. Not a blowaway by any means, but likely MOTN

New Day/Dudz was enjoyable and New Day were pure gold pre-match, loved the calling out of the 'wazzzuuup'. Kind of a pity it was pretty much an exact replica of Night of Champions, just without the apron bump. Post-match I was hoping against hope that Spike Dudley would come out for the save to make it different but oh well.

Lesnar/Show was a ton of fun while it lasted. I like Show, it's not his fault how he has been booked, so I would've liked this to go on longer as it was all I really tuned in for, but what else can you do really. Just a blast though, and Lesnar coming out for a couple more 'plexes is win-win. No idea what "let's hear it for the Big Show" was about other than to give ingrates the opportunity to give Show loads of abuse. Also a pity Cesaro was a victim of making this, what, 3 minute match? Not like I thought his little momentum a couple months ago would really go anywhere in particular but it's well and truly squashed after that.

Cena Rollins was pretty fun. I smelt the finish a mile off but still got surprisingly into it. I don't like door escapes being an option in cage matches, just seems shit, but I really liked how both guys went all over the cage. Lots of exciting spots, crisp action. Pretty satisfying

Overall a decent watch but not much setting it apart from any recent Raw apart from Y2J, Lesnar wrestling and a cage. The Tokyo show just had so much more about it, even ignoring the crowd. Seeing as Takeover Respect will have Balor & Joe in the Dusty Rhodes tournament, an NXT title match really wouldn't have gone amiss here. Tyler Breeze or somebody. A little showcase as it's always enjoyable for me to see the NXT lot come out in a big arena.

Were these guys working the same style they usually work on TV? I only ask because I hear reports sometimes about them playing more to the crowd, doing more stalling and typical face/heel structure on house shows. Then again, this wasn't *just* a house show, so it may not be the best indicator.

Also, how was Cena's crowd reaction? I ask because there have also been reports of him getting a thunderous reaction at MSG when fans know there are no cameras there.

It was 2/3rds TV style, 1/3 house show style. Or probably even more like 3/4s TV. Orton and Ziggler hammed it up a bit, Eden was used to rile up the crowd more than usual, Heyman seemed to be having fun out there, and New Day were even better than usual, but if you'd seen the same footage and were told it was from Smackdown, one likely wouldn't know the difference. They clearly toned it down: very different from MSG house shows I'd attended in the last couple years.

I didn't really notice Cena's reaction as his music was cranked up and he was talking loudly during his entrance, but it seemed mostly positive. It is true that of late he really doesn't get a "John Cena sucks" response on Garden shows, as they're much more kid and family-oriented. It wasn't like people were mad that he won. The reactions in that match mostly seemed to be to the lighting snafus and to Rollins' near-wins. Crowd seemed quiet during the dumb finish with Kane.

Crowd seemed quiet during most of the show, to be honest, which made me wonder if the producers had their hand on the dial. For example, there was an audible "We want Sasha" chant at the start of the Divas match and then it just kinda stopped as soon as it started.

My full review is on my blog - overall, the worst Network Special in 11 months if you ask me. Not out-and-out terrible, but also not a single moment was special aside from *maybe* the freshness of Jericho/Owens, which was a good-not-great match. Cena/Rollins was good too, but when every time they wrestle they hit a B+/A- minus range, it makes it hard to appreciate them hitting that same mark again. Lesnar/Big Show was meaningless and a waste of everyone's time - the segment where he tossed Bo Dallas around was ten times better. I think the producers wanted a "Please Retire" chant for Big Show's exit (which explains why Eden Stiles would announce "Let's give a round of applause to Big Show!") but didn't get it because either the crowd didn't even care enough about the guy for that or maybe, like me, they just feel bad for the dude. I'm not a Big Show mark or anything, but, man, he's a 7 foot, 450 pound, former World Champion and he actually got the premise of the match over through his historically-based and passionate promos leading up to it (with no help from Heyman or Lesnar, mind you). He was made to look like a complete chump…which makes Mark Henry and Cesaro look like chumps too.

I hope this isn't what the WWE's house shows are normally like because I don't see why anyone should pay $30 a ticket to see a show with so many video recaps, NXT advertisements, and backstage segments.