Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-07-14-CWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Jerry Lawler vs Bill Dundee (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town)

Superstar Sleeze

Jerry Lawler vs Bill Dundee - Memphis 7/14/86 Loser Leaves Town

I don't know the buildup to this one other than it is the rubber match of Loser Leaves Town matches. It is No DQ and not for the Southern Championship. It is the two best gunslingers in Memphis wrestling history have one last shootout at the Mid-South Coliseum.

I love how this one starts out brimming with energy and so scrappy. They claim this in its entirety, but it is also clipped missing about 8 minutes. That's what makes all these Loser Leaves Town matches hard to rank. Dundee gains control by hitting Lawler in the Royal Family Jewels with his fist. This match really strikes a chord early how much these two have grown to hate each other. Dundee clobbers Lawler and gouges the eyes. They really like going after the eyes in these matches. There are a couple more holds than other matches, which were all bang-bang, but the holds were short lived and it mostly punches. Dundee drops the legs on the Royal Family Jewels and when Lawler powders he throws the King into all sort of hard objects. Lawler gets an early piledriver! But Dundee ends up too close to the ropes. For shame! Now Lawler is throwing Dundee's head into hard objects, the shot of the jaw onto the standard looked like it hurt. He bounces Dundee's head off the table. He goes for it again, but this time Lawler is sent crashing into it sending us into the heat segment proper. Dundee wants Lawler counted out. Dundee starts working the newly formed cut over the right eye, jabbing at it and he comes off the top with a hard punch, but foot on the rope. You can believe in this match Lawler has a chance of losing. Dundee PILEDRIVER! Foot on the ropes again. Dundee needs better ring awareness. Dundee is working on the arm now and I can see why people have this a bit lower than the other Loser Leaves Town because this one is not as Bang-Bang-Bang. Here is the cut! Dundee throwing those punches but Lawler begins to no sell, the crowd percolates and Lance says watch the strap. STRAP DOWN~! AWESOME SLUGFEST BREAKS OUT! DOWN GOES DUNDEE! 1-2-NO! PILEDRIVER! KICK OUT! WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?!?! A series of simultaneous punches and thats not my favorite spot, honestly. Dundee takes off his boot and clobbers the King. Cover. 1-2-NO! Nice pop for that! Lawler definitely feels in a lot more danger than the 83 match. He kicks him in the balls! Lawler crotches him on the top rope and then Piledrives his ass into oblivion for the win!

According to Russell, we are missing 8 minutes again, making it hard to give this the full monty. This match was slower in parts than '83 & '85, but I liked it as a combination of the positives of '83 (feel good ending) and '85 (a sense of danger for Lawler). This one really feels like an epic clash. I like 85 a lot for its gimmickery and its constant action. This is tough. I don't think anyone match is perfect. I think '85-'86 work really well together. They all end up with the same rating and I will have to decide their ranking later. For now, Lawler vs Dutch Mantell stands a top the Mempho heap! ****3/4

• 2 years later...

So I just rewatched this match and again keeping in mind I am thinking Top 100 Greatest Matches Ever, Lawler's match layout is not my favorite. It is very John Cena. I know I'm a big Cena homer but that is due to a lot of outside of the ring stuff. Cena and Lawler both have classics and matches of the year, but there are other styles I prefer. The no shine, extended heat segment just is not my favorite thing in the world. Also I'm just not a huge fan of minimalism in art in general. I like punk music here and there. Just like I enjoy watching an economical Lawler match (the Hennig match of July 88 in AWA was beautiful in its economy). 

Let me reiterate that most men wish they had a match as good as this. Great punches that slugfest after the Strap Comes Down is an all timer. Some great brawling. There were just some stretches where it is a little slow. We are missing a chunk which is probably more of a Dundee heat segment was was already dragging. Really enjoyed but this is going to miss the Top 100. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1986-07-14-CWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Jerry Lawler vs Bill Dundee (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town)