Pro Wrestling Only

Rock going off script on Monday's RAW

RCS1988

Yeah, and to clarify, I was thinking of physically huge wrestlers like Hogan, Austin, Rock and Kevin Nash. I'm aware Roddy Piper was very good in They Live, which has sort of taken on cult classic status. I guess there was also Bret in Lonesome Dove, but again, the big muscle guys don't seem to get the roles where they get to show a lot of range.

That has a lot to do with whatever built on audience the wrestler brings to theaters. It's not a coincidence that they usually transition to action and/or comedy because that's basically what wrestling is. It is less of a reach for people to imagine in that kind of role compared to being the dad on Kramer vs Kramer which requires a completely different skillset as an actor. I think it requires a legitimate once in a lifetime kind of wrestling talent to make a stronger transition into films. And even then, they have to shake off years of habits formed by Vince or his guys telling the wrestler how exactly they want their character acted. It's tough to break out of that IMO.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and to clarify, I was thinking of physically huge wrestlers like Hogan, Austin, Rock and Kevin Nash. I'm aware Roddy Piper was very good in They Live, which has sort of taken on cult classic status. I guess there was also Bret in Lonesome Dove, but again, the big muscle guys don't seem to get the roles where they get to show a lot of range.

Bret played the Genie in Aladdin in live theater.

In pantomime.

You can't really give pantomime props as being anything other than the drizzling shits. And that's from the experience of being dragged to them year after bastard year as a child. It's not proper theatre, it's campyness, fat men dressed as fat women, audience participation (Crowd: "HE'S BEHIND YOU!" Crap Actor "OH NO HE ISNT!" Crowd: "OH YES HE IS!" Actor "OH NO HE ISN'T!" Crowd: "OH YES HE IS!"), shit songs, and worse jokes (Often sub-Carry On film "Let's have a go at the gays!"). It's both a tradition for a child, and a massive joke. No acting skill is required. Just thinking about pantomime makes me grow an ingrowing toenail.

Anyone watched Ballers? Sure it's not exactly a stretch but it's a TV show, there's no action involved and it's more talky and dramatic than his usual fare.

I wouldn't call Ballers a great show (it's not), but I think Rock, Rob Cordrry, and the underrated character actor Omar Benson Miller (and his wife on the show) carry it through sheer charisma. Miller is the only actor/character I really, really like on it.

Denzel Washington's son is on the show too and while I don't like him, I'm not sure if that's because his character is so unlikeable or because he's overacting or unbelievable or what.

Overall, though, not a great show, but I'd put it above Entourage (which I find to be mostly unwatchable), which it is often compared to.

If you don't find Cordrry funny, though, I'd steer waaay clear. If you're like me and enjoy him, though, it's not a bad way to put your brain on pause for 30 minutes.

As much as I can't stand Kevin Nash, he was actually quite funny in Adam Sandler's version of The Longest Yard. He stole every scene he was in...not that that was all that hard, but still. I remember being surprised at how natural he was as a comedic actor, which in retrospect I suppose I shouldn't have been.