Pro Wrestling Only

Rock going off script on Monday's RAW

RCS1988

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a short clip for those like me that missed it. As someone who is totally checked out on modern WWE, I thought this was really cool. The Rock is awesome. I would freak out if Rock walked up to me and gave me daps and asked my name. Super cool moment for those fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEHAeT_3zd0

That was awesome!

I don't know, Brainfollower. This is the man that got Bruno AND Warrior into the Hall of Fame. He seems to put business first.

Triple H had no beef with Bruno to begin with and I think the squash match thing with the Warrior was blown out of proportion so I don't think Triple H actively hated him. That's easier for him to deal with than the guy he sees as his greatest nemesis. That said, I think he will be obligated to keep him around for appearances' sake. I would believe more the idea that the Rock himself disassociates himself from WWE when Vince goes away. The hate goes both ways and Rock has less of a reason to stick around.

When Rock is more likely to curb his WWE involvement is when his mother is no longer around to ask him to do it. That's been his motivation for coming back, and this time, he likes the idea of breaking records.

As for HHH, he would happily let Rock come back and put him over. Anytime. Just say the word.

Here's a short clip for those like me that missed it. As someone who is totally checked out on modern WWE, I thought this was really cool. The Rock is awesome. I would freak out if Rock walked up to me and gave me daps and asked my name. Super cool moment for those fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEHAeT_3zd0

That was some awesome stuff. Really fun. Those guys can talk about that the rest of their lives. How many fans can say they interacted with the Rock on Raw?

HHH might hate Rock, but Rock is a genuine Hollywood superstar at a time when star-power in Hollywood is at an all-time low, and is also extremely loved in internet circles for stuff like lip-sync battles. Meanwhile, even HHH is not deluded enough to not realise that WWE might be the lowest they have been in popularity and buzz since the dark days of mid-90s. He will be begging Rock to come visit as much as he can. Really, how many times Rock turns up will be on Rock.

Rock will keep coming back to stay fresh with the audience. He learned his lesson the first time he tried to distance himself and Dwayne Johnson turned out of be a pretty big flop as an action star, and instead settled into kid's movies and secondary roles. He's admitted his ex-wife is the one that told him to go back and become the Rock again to recapture that audience, and it revitalized his career in Hollywood. He will never make that same mistake again IMO. Certainly doesn't hurt WWE to use him as well, but the idea that they need him more than vice versa is kind of silly. We already saw how that played out several years back. I'd guess he'd want to keep that up whether Vince is around or not, especially when he's given carte blanche to do pretty much whatever he wants when he is there.

If WWE fans were going to go see Rock movies, they would go even if he was no longer around. He is a bonafide legend in wrestling regardless of active involvement. His problems at the box office had nothing to do with him not being associated with wrestling and everything to do with him picking bad roles or good roles within bad movies that no one wanted to see. I don't doubt that his ex-wife suggested he go back to wrestling but only because it can't hurt getting extra income and giving back to the business that his family have been so deeply involved with for years.

The story with Rock's ex-wife convincing him to return and mend fences with his WWE fan base is all fine and well, but he's moved beyond that now. That goodwill has been re-established, and I don't see it being a problem for him again. He's over the hump. Rocky's a legitimate top-tier star in Hollywood now. I don't think there's any risk of him dropping back to Tooth Fairy status.

The guy's got a full schedule of projects for the next year-plus already. He's box office.

If WWE were to phase out Rocky's annual appearances eventually - down the long haul, then I could actually see that being perceived as a poor decision on WWE's part. It's not like mainstream media would give a shit that Rock isn't going back to play in the pro wrestling sandbox every now & then.

I don't think it stands a chance of putting a dent (or even a ding) in his blockbuster rep at this point. Rocky's a made man. It'd almost take a succession of shitty roles and a serious drop-off in his projects' profits to do any lasting damage. He's raking it in right now. WWE pouting and opting to not use him once a year isn't exactly going to be a big blip on the radar.

No one ever said the Rock was a Shakespearan actor in any way and even he himself hasn't claimed such talent. Like in wrestling we are not looking to have the Big Show work from underneath in a ground based European style catch match because that's not what Big Show is meant to be, the Rock isn't meant for that. In the 1980s no one would ask Sylvester Stallone or Arnold Schwarzenegger to do Terms of Endearment, because that isn't what they do. The Rock is an action hero/parody of said action hero in comedies. That's it. That's all people want from him.

No one ever said the Rock was a Shakespearan actor in any way and even he himself hasn't claimed such talent. Like in wrestling we are not looking to have the Big Show work from underneath in a ground based European style catch match because that's not what Big Show is meant to be, the Rock isn't meant for that. In the 1980s no one would ask Sylvester Stallone or Arnold Schwarzenegger to do Terms of Endearment, because that isn't what they do. The Rock is an action hero/parody of said action hero in comedies. That's it. That's all people want from him.

Yeah, pretty much. No one in their right mind thinks that he is De Niro in acting skill and talent - ironically, his movies are actually better than many of De Niro's recent flicks - and no one really even wants him to do something different.

That said, action heroes have in the past at least tried to do something different; more intimate, more emotional. The Rock did sort of do that with Pain and Gain and his bit role in Be Cool, and they were not very successful, so I do not see him trying to break the mould too much, at least not in the near future.

Yeah, and to clarify, I was thinking of physically huge wrestlers like Hogan, Austin, Rock and Kevin Nash. I'm aware Roddy Piper was very good in They Live, which has sort of taken on cult classic status. I guess there was also Bret in Lonesome Dove, but again, the big muscle guys don't seem to get the roles where they get to show a lot of range.

Yeah, and to clarify, I was thinking of physically huge wrestlers like Hogan, Austin, Rock and Kevin Nash. I'm aware Roddy Piper was very good in They Live, which has sort of taken on cult classic status. I guess there was also Bret in Lonesome Dove, but again, the big muscle guys don't seem to get the roles where they get to show a lot of range.

Bret played the Genie in Aladdin in live theater.