Pro Wrestling Only

This Week In Wrestling PWO Greatest Wrestler Ever Special Pt 2

wtbbp.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/jerryvonkramer/this-week-in-wrestling-gwe-pt-2

Pete is at WrestleMania weekend enjoying the festivities as you listen to this so we are bringing the special part 2 of TWIW talking Greatest Wrestler Ever. Pete and Timothy unveil their 49-1 picks in the PWO Greatest Wrestler Ever poll. Both guys lists started out radically different but as they work their way to the top 50 they seem to come together on a lot more names than you expect. Give it a listen to see the surprise as they actually agree exactly on not one but two different wrestler placements. As always he hope everyone has a great week in wrestling especially on this the holy week in wrestling.​

One thing you guys discussed: I do hope that my arguments or anything I did didn't actually hurt Flair in any way as Timothy suggested here. That would make me sad. Although I've come to realise that the extent of that sort of thing is overblown. And from messages of quiet support I get and so on, I'm actually reasonably confident that the amount of people who would let something like my pimping negatively affect their view is a tiny, minuscule but visible / vocal minority. Maybe even no more than like 2 people, I dunno. It's the sort of thing that would make me want to never post again. But I like I said, I've come to think it is falsely overblown. Pete kind of hit it when he talked about "even when I'm right people don't want to give me the satisfaction". Y'know, I'm less like that than it might appear. Although I have noticed that in time my long-standing critique of Backlund has come to be accepted when so often some of those Titans shows were 3 on 1 beatdowns! Heh heh.

Anyway, some people thought doing a five-part series on Flair was obnoxious. You know there was nothing stopping anyone else doing the same for any other candidate. It's just that the strength of feeling is very real with Flair. Just listen to how passionately Pete talks about him on this show. Podcast gold Pete!

Anyway, great work on this fellas. I really dug the tone and vibe of this show. Just something different again from WTBBP and PWSS. And what's really clear on all of the shows so far and comes through strongly on this one, is that when you get to the cream, it's clear what has risen. Despite how different everyone is, once you're up in that top 20 or 30, it's the same names we all agree on. Just a wonderful thing to see / hear unfurl.

Hope Pete has a blast at Mania. Also hope this show isn't lost during Mania madness cos it absolutely deserves everyone's time!

Just getting to finish this up now.

Pete - really, REALLY appreciated you going so high on Windham. I'm in exactly the same boat - there's loads of holes you can punch in his argument but ultimately i'm like 'Fuck off, it's Barry Windham!'

Tim, having Dick Murdoch so high was a surprise, but a damn pleasant one at that. I've enjoyed everything I've seen from him - especially (gasp!) v Windham in Mid South, and hope to dig much deeper on him soon.

Also, the little interludes away from the lists were fun. Pete speaking on changes from 2006 to now was very interesting.

It's a surprise to me as well with everything about his style he's not exactly a guy that fits my normal taste not to say he can't work the mat because he can and very well I might add but for my money he's the only guy I truly give big credit to based on being a great puncher there's something about the way he can work a whole match around a big punch that actually works for me.

I had him 41st. I just like messing with you about him. Great run in Mid-South, really have not explored all that much of his WWF run, just know the hits. There is a certain blandness to him that I really cant get past. He lacks the emotion and energy that I really crave especially when you look at people I think highly of like Kobashi, Flair and Martel.

Interesting to hear that as a criticism, because I have thought he has a lot of motion in his matches (more than Greg, for example), and works with what I'd call aggression and intensity. Over the course of GWE, I came to realise actually that he's remarkably similar to Ric Flair as a worker in many ways, even down to having signiture bumps.

Valentine like a Tenryu draws you in with his stone face. It is the silent badass charm. That being said Valentine did his fair share of stooging (TIMMMMMMBAAAAAHHHH) and just being a mean asshole. DiBiase is just there at times.

Timothy with a higher ranking for Backlund than me! Dude is a keeper! Plus we had Vader at the same point. Minor correction: Vader did not say he was a fat piece of shit after his match with Shawn. The story is that Shawn would not lay down for Vader. He did not make Vader say he was a fat piece of shit. As an HBK apologist, felt the need to say that. :P

Did Shawn Michaels not make either one of your lists?

I was listening to this in the car and Pete you had another money rant in you like the one for Rey and cant remember who it was for. Damn, youre good in these.

Still got the top ten left.

I wasn't trying to say HBK made him say it or it was a stip for the match I think I just misremembered it as happening after an HBK match upon future research I guess it happened after his mask match with Kane?

And no I don't think either Pete or I had HBK on the list my problem with HBK aren't as political as a lot of others the biggest problem is HBK is always pushed as the greatest WWE performer of all time in ring and WWE style matches just never spoke to me so he really never stood out as an all time great, I thought his best stuff was in the rockers but if it was a top 150-200 he's probably get in there.