Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling thoughts that probably don't deserve

Coffey

Don't know why people are bitching so much.

ECW TV from 99-01 was awful in itself. When the 'good' stuff was on, barely anyone saw it, and the only bits people have seen are the 'good' bits. Who knows if it was crap.

So maybe the new ECW is poor, I haven't watched it and wouldn't know, but I do know that ECW TV from 99-01 was absolutely awful, so it isn't as if ECW TV was good in the past.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I see, sorry, I was actually expecting former ECW wrestlers to wrestle on an ECW program, not losers who couldn't even get over even if they got 839 pushes.

This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Former ECW wrestlers from 1997 on pretty much fall into three categories:

1. Guys who became stars (pretty much just RVD and the Dudley Boys)

2. Guys who are old and broken down (Funk, Dreamer, Sabu)

3. Losers who couldn't get over even if they got 839 pushes (pretty much everyone else on the roster)

Guest Kevin Cook

Test just doesn't fit into the rich legacy established by Johnny Polo, that guy from the Dynamic Dudes who didn't end up in a tag team with Kenta Kobashi, Leif Cassidy, and Brakkus, among others.

Oh I see, sorry, I was actually expecting former ECW wrestlers to wrestle on an ECW program, not losers who couldn't even get over even if they got 839 pushes.

This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Former ECW wrestlers from 1997 on pretty much fall into three categories:

1. Guys who became stars (pretty much just RVD and the Dudley Boys)

2. Guys who are old and broken down (Funk, Dreamer, Sabu)

3. Losers who couldn't get over even if they got 839 pushes (pretty much everyone else on the roster)

Are you sure about that? To most ECW fans, guys like Mike Awesome, Tajiri, Rhino, Sandman, Raven, Jerry Lynn, and Tanaka did get over with the fans based on the good matches anr/or talent.

Show can get over if pushed properly but that hasn't been the case since he left WCW. As for Test, well no talent and no charisma = no reaction.

He was actually really over in 1999 with the Stephanie stuff but was ruined once he wasn't allowed to even get a match with HHH until like 2 years later.

Yeah, I'd say he was doomed well before the "Testicles" angle with Stacy. Not only did he not get a rematch with HHH (not that he was the only one victimized by that, but it did hurt him) but he was also HHH's tag partner a couple of times, if I recall correctly, giving him the image of a total whipping boy/second-rate sidekick. On top of that, the guy's been portrayed as a total loser when it comes to women, being kicked to the curb by Steph, Trish, and Stacy.

Not a Test fan or anything, but the guy's been booked to fail ever since HHH showed the Las Vegas wedding footage.

I've never understood it. You would think being a friend of Shane McMahon's would've bought him some protection in the booking. He's another one of those guys that probably could've been a fixture in the upper mid-card had someone just stopped to think about the future a little bit.

Oh, by the way, the WrestleMania Anthology set must've sold pretty well, because according to PWSpyware, the WWE is working towards eventually selling Royal Rumble and SummerSlam Anthology sets.

Soon to follow with Survivor Series if the other 2 sell well!

Not a Test fan or anything, but the guy's been booked to fail ever since HHH showed the Las Vegas wedding footage.

Come on my friend, you and I both know that Test is your hero. ;)

I finally got to watch Over the Edge 99 tonight, and while I don't blame Vince for going on with the show, seeing Jerry Lawler sit back at the announce desk while JR was explaining what happened to the home crowd was one of the most heart wrenching things you can ever see. His face was completely ashen and he was only able to say "it doesn't look good" when JR was looking for someone to bail him out since he'd been stalling for time while the EMTs were working on Owen.

Later of course we'd find out that Owen basically died in his arms, since being ringside Lawler was able to get to the ring probably before the EMT crew did. Being able to do your job mere moments after that is just astounding.

The other day I came across some tapes with WWE programming from early 2001. I haven't seen the shows probably in 5 years and there was some interesting stuff.

-It's amazing how much Vince McMahon has aged since then. He looks about 20 years older today.

-The crowd was going apeshit for the Trish/Stephanie McMahon storyline. This was a guilty pleasure of mine.

-The midcard was going in circles with Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, X-Pac all trading wins and losses and no one was getting significantly over. No upward mobility. The crowds were noticeably not getting behind Jericho as much as they used to.

-The Undertaker/Kane "Brothers of Destruction" gimmick was going fine until it was dropped because Hunter needed a program for Wrestlemania.

-Raven was absolutely heatless with the hardcore stuff.

-Trish's voice sounds so much different than it used to. She was so much more muscular back then.

-Just like the IC title scene the tag title situation was going in circles with E & C, Hardys, Dudleys trading wins and loses. Basically the product was becoming stale.

-Angle was still playing a goofball as champion and it killed his reign.

-Regal was tremendous during this period. Great acting in the whole Vince/Trish/Stephanie storyline.

-Tazz was very green as an announcer

-The product was in serious need of a creative overhaul. Very stale. The Jericho and Benoit pushes come Spring and the glimmer of hope with the Invasion changed things up for a little while, but then it was back to business as usual.

Guest KingPK

Wow, that "DX parodies the McMahons" bit tonight sure died fast, didn't it? It started off well, but Michaels' Shane put it on life support, the dancing to Stand Back put it in cardiac arrest and the dumping "shit" on the heels flatlined it. I mean, didn't somebody already make fun of that Slammy dance number already?

Guest The Metal Maniac

Yeah, except they forgot to actually make it funny.

I found it odd that HBK was even making fun of Shane the same way Road Dogg made fun of D-Lo; saying something stupid, then dancing around. A lot.

Well HHH's Vince impression was better than Nash's when he was "The Promoter" in WCW.

I wonder if something else went short or did they really script that segment to go that long? It seemed that DX ran through their material halfway through and were doing their version of Ashlee Simpson's SNL jig to fill time.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Meltz is thinking they may have burned through too much material in one shot. He added all the funny lines were given to HHH.

I'd assume that part of that would be because HBK is too filled with JEEBUS POWER now to crack a lot of the "edgy" jokes DX was known for, leaving HHH to have to carry the promos.

I have to say I'm enjoying the DX stuff if for no other reason it makes HHH not boring anymore. His "heel who outsmarts everyone and never loses and is serious all the time" schtick was getting beyond played out. Yeah, the DX stuff is recycled but at least we haven't seen that in 10 years. A few months of man-ass will break the monotony of him waving his sledge-penis around.

Guest HarleyQuinn

RVD vs. Angle has been a wicked fun match on Sci-Fi. Spotty at points but continuous action after the first few minutes.

Wow, that "DX parodies the McMahons" bit tonight sure died fast, didn't it? It started off well, but Michaels' Shane put it on life support, the dancing to Stand Back put it in cardiac arrest and the dumping "shit" on the heels flatlined it. I mean, didn't somebody already make fun of that Slammy dance number already?

I wonder how HBK and HHH feel stealing McMahon potshots material from Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho...

Wow, that "DX parodies the McMahons" bit tonight sure died fast, didn't it?  It started off well, but Michaels' Shane put it on life support, the dancing to Stand Back put it in cardiac arrest and the dumping "shit" on the heels flatlined it.  I mean, didn't somebody already make fun of that Slammy dance number already?

I wonder how HBK and HHH feel stealing McMahon potshots material from Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho...
And that Benoit of all people was funnier than either of them.