Pro Wrestling Only

La Gran Guerra I (12/12/87)

El Boricua

• 2 weeks later...

From El Boriqua:

“All men start at the same time. The objective is to handcuff the opposing team to the cage. First team that manages to handcuff all five of their opponents wins. As the prize for winning, the winning team gets to free all of their handcuffed members and gets 5 minutes to attack the handcuffed losing team at their leisure.”

So obviously this is gonna be amazing. Two rings with a war games cage. I’m so excited. I have no idea how to review something like this. Its just 10 dudes beating the shit out of each other at once. It is exactly what you want it to be. Even Brody comes across as great in this setting. Awesome spectacle.

I wouldn't know where to begin in describing this. So many wrestlers and things happening all at once. Just another super intense match. When I think this set can't get crazier, this match comes along to prove me wrong. My eyes were glued to the screen from start to finish.

• 1 month later...
This is Puerto Rico's version of Wargames, except it's crazier than Wargames because it's Puerto Rico. Rudo unit consists of Abby, Chicky Starr, Kareem Muhammad, Hercules Ayala and the Grizzly Goon or something. There's a very good chance I'm wrong about that last one because I didn't recognise the guy, I might've misheard Hugo on commentary, and searching Grizzly Goon is yielding no answers of worth (help me out with this, Boricua!). But they're your rudos. Tecnico unit is Colon, Invader I, Bruiser Brody, TNT and Dutch Mantell, which was an awesome surprise. You fully expect this to be wild and crazy and that's exactly what it was. Chicky was probably my favourite guy in it. He took a bunch of great bumps off of being flung into the cage, he bled like crazy, and when things got a little too heavy he'd try and burst his way out the cage (it had a roof, so he couldn't). Maybe it's because there was so much going on and he wasn't the focus for large stretches, but this felt like a strong Brody showing. He seemed generous enough in exchanges, and there was one point where he just unloaded on Abby with the best punches he's ever thrown while the crowd went bonkers. I loved Colon and Invader's dual comeback at the end as well, Colon with his carved up forehead and Invader with his white mask stained blood red. This was pretty awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty hard to accurately assess everything going on in a match like this.

As a spectacle it's pretty great and satisfying. I loved Chicky Starr's performance in this -- just begging off and fighting desperately and standing out on his team. Colon and Invader's babyface performances are very good and there is plenty of good brawling here and a super hot crowd. Again, hard to kind of judge it in some ways, but tons of fun and a really satisfying ending scene with the babyfaces teeing off on their rival army.