Pro Wrestling Only

Carlos Colon vs. Ron Starr (Cage Match) (8/13/88)

El Boricua

• 3 weeks later...

Starr jumps Colon right as Colon gets in the cage but Colon is able to fight back and take over. This is just a slugfest early on with both guys blasting away. Colon does the awesome spot where he puts his foot up on the top turnbuckle and slams Starr’s face into it. Starr eats cage, Colon bites head, sharp punches, and Starr is busted open. Colon is awesome just refusing to let up and pummeling Starr. Starr manages to take over when Colon charges the turnbuckles and Starr moves out of the way allowing Starr to take over. “Watch this bulldog” Starr promises right before he nails his awesome bulldog. Starr tries to climb out but Colon grabs him and pulls him back over the top of the cage in a great moment. Colon is bleeding by this point and Starr is vicious going after the cut with punches and headbutts. Colon keeps trying to fight back and finally makes a groin related comeback. But it isn’t his usual testicle shot so I won’t hear anything about him being too formulaic. Starr hits an AMAZING running knee on Colon as Colon was trying to pull himself off the mat. Absolutely brutal. Colon pays him back with a beautiful running jumping knee that Jumbo and David Von Erich would be proud of. Great double knockdown spot. This ends on what is going to be called a bullshit finish, but I liked it and the post match was good shit too. I liked this a lot. Ron Starr is really awesome and Colon did it again.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

So much good stuff here. They start out basically just beating the shit out of each other and never stop. Colon grabbing two handfuls of hair to keep Starr from dropping off the top of the cage was amazing. I loved the cutoff spots as both were going for the door involving the ropes being used to do damage to the guy trying to escape. Brilliant stuff. How none of it made it's way into other matches I've seen I'll never know. Ending is basically a continuation of the match if you ask me. Brawling out the cage door and onto the field seems like a logical conclusion to what we just saw.. Starr takes a suplex on the baseball field, bet that felt good. Great, great stuff all around.