Pro Wrestling Only

Batten Twins v. The Sheepherders (9/10/88)

El Boricua

• 3 weeks later...

Great to see the Herders back saluting refusing to start the match before they can salute the New Zealand flag. I like that they always wait for the bell to ring before going into the saluting routine. Crowd is super hot for this. I think the Herders look really good early on stooging around for the Battens. They walk a really fine line of being comedic and threatening. I gotta say I like the Herders in these more traditional southern style tag matches than their early crazy brawls. They’re really solid. This has brawling and shit. Luke Williams hits a Batten with a championship belt behind the ref’s back. But its set up by misdirection spots, getting the ref turned around etc. This is your classic southern tag style match. Hot babyface open, long face in peril segment, and finally a hot tag leading to the finish. The Batten’s probably needed to get more shit in before the finish because the Herders controlled so much of the match. But I really enjoyed this overall.

• 1 year later...

I liked the way Butch was working the crowd throughout. Really great stuff there. Battens play off of the Herders really well and both the shine and the heat were really good. Hot tag could have used a bit more heat from whichever Batten it was, but that's a small quibble for an otherwise very good tag match.