Pro Wrestling Only

Hercules Ayala vs. Carlos Colon (Fire Match) (9/10/88)

El Boricua

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the most amazing spectacles ever. The visuals from the fire make this an unbelievable scene. I will always prefer fire to barbed wire just because the fire looks so cool. Carlos Colon is a completely insane person just reaching out and sticking his hand in the fire multiple times. The match itself is really good too I think. Just a straight up brawl with them punching each other in the face and trying to set each other on fire. I LOVE that at some point Ayala abandons this strategy and starts going after Carlos’ leg nonstop so he can get the figure 4. So Carlos is like “YOU WANNA SEE A FIGURE 4?” That’s right, dueling leg work in a fire match but it fucking fits. This was way better than I even expected and I expected to like this. I could see this making my top 25. Loved it.

• 1 year later...

Yeah the fire was incredible. That had to be a seriously hot environment to work in. Loved Colon getting his hair singed by the fire. Crazy bastard. The figure 4 by Colon after the bell was great, as was the crowd still throwing garbage at Ayala after he had been beaten. Ayala crawling over to try and get his hands on Colon one last time was pretty great too.