Pro Wrestling Only

Invader III vs. Chicky Starr (Axehandle on a Pole Match) (October 1988)

El Boricua

• 3 weeks later...

I want all wrestling to take place in baseball stadiums now. This is lots of fun early on with Invader having the early advantage and Chicky bumping around and begging off. All of the climbing spots are great with Invader jumping over Chicky a few times. They trade lowblows of course. The selling is terrific. I love the spot with Chicky trying to climb the turnbuckles while Invader is laying on the ground hanging on to Chicky’s foot for dear life. Lots of dramatic climbing spots. Usually Invader will pull Chicky’s trunks down a bit when he pulls him down to the delight of the crowd. Chicky manages to get the axehandle first but of course Invader is able to get it from him and he blasts Chicky once. Chicky gets busted open but manages to avoid Invader’s 2nd swing and hit an inverted atomic drop for the win. This was very good. A little disappointing given the participants but I think that may be Rip Rogers distracting me on commentary. Rogers might be my least favorite commentator of all time.

• 1 year later...

Rip Rogers commentary is definitely not helpful. I liked Invader 3 jumping over Chicky and later hitting a dropkick while never releasing his grip on the axehandle while they are fighting over it. That's some kind of body control. The climbing spots were all really good, but the finish fell a little flat for me. So much of the match was about the gimmick that ignoring it for the finish seemed off.