Pro Wrestling Only

Ron Starr vs. Chicky Starr (12/17/88)

El Boricua

• 4 weeks later...

This starts what looks slightly JIP with Ron attacking Chicky on the outside punching and posting him over and over and Chicky is opened up. Chicky begs off but Ron is merciless slamming his head into the mat and chopping him so hard Chicky bumps out of the ring. Is there any doubt this is going to be great? Should we just stop and talk about how great it is that Ron Starr is getting a babyface run all of the sudden. Chicky is such a slimeball they managed to make Ron Starr a fucking babyface. Its awesome too because Ron is just beating the shit out of Chicky. Kicks, punches, forearms, awesome Regal/Finlay/Garvin type shit where he’s stomping on shinbones and dropping knees on things, raking Chicky’s eyes along the ropes. Ron is just perfect in this. Kicking Chicky in the ribs, throwing Chicky down by the hair, choking Chicky etc etc. Chicky’s selling of everything is great, he hits some big bumps and he has some of the best facial expressions in all of wrestling. Chicky is really fun on offense too. He’s not going to WOW you with crazy highspots but everything he does is really solid. And he is so great as an arrogant prick strutting around. Ron’s selling is really good in this too once CHicky takes over, both the immediate sell of a move and the escalating damage. I love that when Chicky bails out to run away the ring fills up with kids. Ron is just destroying Chicky at the end of this and finally chicky hits the worlds biggest punch to the balls and runs away as fast as he can. I loved all of this. Ron Starr was such a great wrestler. Wow.

• 1 year later...

I took away the exact same thing. Ron Starr is amazing! I mean, Chicky is in there making him look like a million bucks, but Ron really kills it when he's on offense and when he's taking punishment. The fans throwing chairs to the wrestlers was pretty crazy. Great match.