Pro Wrestling Only

Carlos Colon vs. Hercules Ayala (Loser Leaves Puerto Rico) (1/6/89)

El Boricua

• 4 weeks later...

Great slugfest to start. This is yet another enormous and incredibly hot crowd. Colon gets the advantage of the early slugfest and there’s an awesome look of concern on Ayala’s face. Ayala gets the advantage and throws some great knee lifts before putting Carlos down with a great looking clothesline. I’m enjoying this match but its bitter sweet. I don’t want either guy to lose and I require more matches! Colon is really good putting over Ayala’s big knees and power offense. This spills to the outside early of course and Carlos gets busted open. Ayala just kills him with a beer can or something before posting him. Crowd reaction for Colon posting Ayala is CRAZY and Ayala gets posted open. Colon posts Ayala a few times and hits him with the ring bell. Back in the ring and Carlos is COVERED in blood but he is right in the middle of an insane punching fest and can’t be denied until Ayala goes to the eyes. Ayala goes for a 2nd rope knee drop but misses it giving Carlos the opening. These two are just going toe to toe. Carlos hits a great back suplex for a terrific near fall. The crowd is just going nuts for this. Great extended bear hug segment really made by Colon’s bloody facial expressions. Carlos goes to the top rope and misses a leg drop leading to Ayala going after the leg to set up his figure 4. I love how when Carlos fights back with punches or chops, Ayala just goes right back to the leg. Ayala finally locks in the figure 4 and Colon is great selling it. Again he is just covered in blood. The pop when he turns is over is beautiful with little kids jumping up and down. Great finish. Great match. Great feud. This was awesome. These matches have been the pleasant surprise of the set even more than Abby vs Colon which I kinda expected to like anyway. But THESE matches fucking rock.

• 1 year later...

I loved how Ayala picked up a beercan that was thrown at him and hit Colon with it. Keep giving me weapons, he thinks. :) The brawling was awesome with both guys really laying it in. Colon's selling of that bearhug made it seem like something big. Ayala going back to it when Colon was on the apron was new to me. The figure four stuff was so good with a HUGE crowd pop when Colon turned it over. Gonna miss that Ayala guy a lot.