Pro Wrestling Only

Carlos Colon vs. Jason the Terrible (Barbed Wire Match) (3/11/89)

El Boricua

• 4 weeks later...

Jason jumps Colon as he gets in the ring and takes over trying to push Carlos back into the wire. Carlos is able to avoid it at first but Jason is able to overpower him and force him back into it. Jason gets an extended beatdown on Colon. Punches, great headbutts with the Jason mask and forcisng Colon into the wire. Finally Colon manages to slow Jason down briefly whipping him into the wire. But Jason is able to come right back and continues with another extended beatdown of Carlos forcing him back into the wire over and over. Carlos finally is able to make a comeback with his great punches and a kick to the balls before pushing Jason into the wire over and over to the delight of the crowd. Carlos manages to get his mask off in the middle of the beatdown and gives Jason headbutts with the mask. Awesome. Jason is COVERED in blood now. Holy fuck. This is awesome. Carlos continues the beatdown even hitting some dropkicks. Jason is great stumbling around with Carlos just blasting away. God this is some gruesome shit. Jason manages to cut off Colon with a terrible knee lift when Colon puts his head down too early on a backdrop attempt. Jason hits a knee drop off the 2nd rope but misses the 2nd leading to vintage Colon legwork leading to the figure 4. Typical enormous pop for the finish. This was pretty flat for me at first and then picked up in a big way. Another shockingly good Colon match.

• 1 year later...

I always like gimmick matches in PR because they use the damn gimmick instead of treating it like just another prop. Colon using the mask to bust Jason open was really good. I'd call whoever played Jason the Terrible a serviceable big man. not great, but up against somebody good he knew how to do his part. Colon can get a good gimmick match out of anybody though, so I may be wrong.