Pro Wrestling Only

Abuddadein vs. Invader I (5/14/89)

El Boricua

• 4 weeks later...

Rufus R Jones is the special ref. Oh and its Invader! So this should be good. We missed you Invader I. Welcome back. This starts off nicely with Invader getting the advantage with a side headlock and working stuff from there. Nice sequence leading to Abuddadein’s backbreaker and now he takes over. But its just a heel hope spot as Invader is able to take back over with his awesome charging offense and goes back to the headlock. We go to commercial right as Abuddadein is countering the headlock with a big backsuplex. We come back from commercial as he hits a neckbreaker. Abuddadein is a bomb throwing machine. He mixes in great heel stuff like chops and putting his pointed boot up in the corner and slamming Invader’s head into it. Invader gets busted open and Abuddadein works it over with more chops and turnbuckle smashes mixed in with more cool bombs. Ok Abuddadein’s pace is starting to annoy me. He is just all over Invader I nonstop not relenting. Everything he does is good but he’s not letting anything breathe at all and for the love of god, Invader might be the best seller in history if you just stand back and let him go. But Abuddadein doesn’t really give him the space to do it. The match is good and fun and I really liked it a lot. But at some point I’m like “dude, let the man sell he’s the best at it.” Invader’s comeback is fun with him working a sleeper to slow this crazy man down before giving up and just doing to Abuddadein what he did to Invader just staying all over him. ENORMOUS pop for the finish. Good match, could have been better if they let it go 5 minutes longer but didn’t add anything except Invader selling inbetween Abuddadein’s spot.

• 1 year later...

Abuddadein is one of my least favorite wrestlers on the set. He just doesn't fit in Puerto Rico. Put him in someplace really workrate-y like Japan or even WCW and I think he works way better. Invader 1 gets a good match out of him, but it seemed like Colon was able to do a little better. I'd agree with Elliot that Abuddadein could use a little slower pace instead of just trying to get all of his shit in. It's PR, you don't need to do 3 different suplexes, a neckbreaker, a DDT, a piledriver and a top rope splash. In all reality, if you are doing all of that you should probably be a babyface, not the foreign heel of the moment.