Pro Wrestling Only

TNT vs. Rip Rogers (6/17/89)

El Boricua

• 4 weeks later...

Rip Rogers. Man. He’s built up such bad will on this set as a commentator. The go right to brawling around ringside with Rogers getting the early advantage using a foreign object and posting TNT. Back in the ring and Rogers keeps on him biting TNT and kicking him in the balls. So obviously TNT is bleeding early. He takes a great bump when Rogers throws him over the top. Great as in crazy. He also takes another insane posting after more brawling around the floor. Jeez TNT. More stabbing with a foreign object by Rogers. God this is just a crazy back and forth brawl on the floor. TNT makes a comeback hitting a great superkick out there and going for a pin because apparently he’s an idiot. Back in the ring and a big chop by TNT from the 2nd rope and he pays Rogers back for earlier and throws Rogers over the top to the floor and kicks him in the balls for good measure. Back in the ring and TNT continues to command the match with chops, kicks and suplexes. Terrific finish. Rogers’ facial expressions towards the end are great. This was really good.

• 1 year later...

So Rip Roger has to wrestle...Juan....Riivera. I'm pretty sure that overly repeated bit of commentary by Rip scarred me for life. Fuck you for that Rip Rogers. On to this match. Rogers is great stalling and finding a foreign object early. He hits TNT with it a few times and kicks him in the balls because Puerto Rico. And Rip Rogers has redeemed himself. That superkick outside the ring was all sorts of great and Rogers stuck in there to make it look even better. Rogers selling for TNT is really, really good on the comeback. Here's the thing, I just watched Abuddadein throw every 80s highspot in the book at Invader 1 and Carlos Colon. I was still 10 times more impressed by Rogers performance in a match where he brawled and used a foreign object for 95% of his offense. He hit a suplex and tried a crossbody from the top, those were the only two wrestling moves he did. Still miles better than the last 2 matches I watched. Crowd seemed kinda dead for some of the finishing run, not sure what to make of that.