Pro Wrestling Only

Rufus R. Jones & Super Medico vs. Bart & Brad Batten (August 1989)

El Boricua

• 4 weeks later...

Super Medico! My man! Where the fuck have you been?? Back in my early internet fan days when J-Cups and All Japan Heavies were all the rage, I wouldn’t have given this a shot because of a washed up dude like Rufus R Jones. But now I’m all, sweet, Rufus R Jones! Crowd is super into Rufus. His schticky dancing escape from the side headlock is phenomenal. Faces in control first with arm wringers and quick tags back and forth. This is very toned down from the last match but still super solid if not basic stuff. We go to commercial right as the heels get the advantage on Rufus and he’s still selling as we come back. Battens control Rufus with chinlocks, kicks, punches that sort of thing. Mostly chinlocky though. Hot tag and Super Medico comes in with a great punching barrage and a cross body block on both Battens. All 4 men in the ring but Rufus is able to clear out a Batten with his jumping headbutt as Super Medico hits the classic reverse of a cross body to pick up the win. This was fine. Nothing memorable and real short but nothing bad or anything. Its cool to have a Rufus match in my collection (I don’t think I have one, but I could be wrong) but he’s obviously WAY past his prime here.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, compared to the previous tag this was a downgrade. But we still got good stuff like that barrage of awesome punches by Super Medico. And Rufus R. Jones dance escape was pretty good, made better by the Battens' accusations of him cheating afterwards. They are so much better as heels.