Pro Wrestling Only

Steve Strong vs. TNT (Barbed Wire Match) (August 1989)

El Boricua

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t know who Steve Strong looks like or reminds me of but they’re an idiot. I am sure of this. I actually like Strong’s initial reaction to the wire as he almost bumps chest first into it. TNT shows he doesn’t give a fuck by grabbing onto the barbed wire and trying to pull it towards Strong’s face as he pushes Strong’s head towards it with the other hand. Steve Strong might MIGHT have the dumbest hair in wrestling in 1989 and think of the ground that covers. Early on the match is them taking turns trying to shove each other’s face into the wire. Between that they take turns chopping and hitting each other with forearms to weaken each other making it easier to shove the other into the wire. TNT eats the wire first and he is a bloody mess as we cut to commercial. Great spot where Strong whips TNT into the ropes and is expecting TNT to bounce back of course so Strong goes for a jumping shoulder tackle but, because he doesn’t want to hit the barbed wire, TNT never hit the ropes so he doesn’t bounce back so Strong airballs the tackle leading to TNT hitting some huge kicks. Strong’s stumbling around slow bump from the kicks is pretty great actually. Nice rope running spot leads to an insane super kick. This shit was Chris Adams level. I love the counter to the cobra clutch with Strong just forcing TNT into the wire. Finish is insane with Strong basically hot shotting TNT into the wire. That was obscenely dangerous. This picked up after the commercial break and was pretty damn fun from there.

• 1 year later...

Early match was pretty standard PR stuff, really putting over the gimmick. If there is one thing that makes me think PR was a territory that was run in a smart way, it's that all of the high profile gimmick matches I have seen really make sure the gimmick is front and center. The kick sequence from TNT is awesome and I love how he doesn't use them as a crutch. Not that I don't think they should finish somebody off now and again because they look all kinds of awesome and hurty. Finish is...fucking OW! Crazy, but very good, use of the stip for the finish.