Pro Wrestling Only

Daniel Bryan vs The Bear, finally released!

Grimmas

I think the only backstory behind is that as the video says Daniel Bryan is obsessed with bears. Plus I am sure there was something on the JBL and Cole show about the Bear and the person inside of it. Plus I am guessing the Bryan is bored as fuck not being able to actually wrestle

I loved the Drake tried to channel his inner Lance Russell for the empty arena match. Someone should have given him a cigarette though

While hyping this on Twitter, Bryan talked about classic rivalries like Brisco/Funk, Flair/Steamboat, Austin/Rock, etc. But he also included Lawler/Dundee. God bless this wonderful man.

He's given Satánico major props too. In a recent interview he even said that's one of his dream opponents.

What is the backstory to this?

It was mostly explained in the mockumentary. In 2013 Bryan started to appear a lot on the JBL & Cole youtube show, that at the time was doing a talent show among some wrestlers. D-Bry created a character called "The Dazzler" that showed that one of his talents was wrestling a bear - he also did a hilarious rap with Kane and a ninja bit with Regal that was amazing - that same week Bryan did commentary on Saturday Morning Slam were he kept the gimmick going and connected every match to wrestling a bear (you can hear a lot of his sound bites in the mockumentary) so it became kind of a "thing".

Now, why they did a 20 minute documentary on this during his time off in 2015 I have no clue. I guess he was bored and wanted to have fun with it, I find it surprising how much preparation though, I'm surprised WWE didn't upped it sooner on their youtube channel.

You know, this whole time he's been gone, I've honestly been pretty apathetic about it, in thinking about putting his health first and remembering that he went on a high note to a great career. But somehow, seeing this goofy but incredibly awesome series is the thing that's made me go back and think of what a huge loss it is for him to not be working anymore. Even if he just ends up doing more announcing and stuff like this, I hope they recognize what a great voice and face he can be for the company going forward.

It's also really weird that genuinely funny people work in high-level production roles for WWE, and are creating laugh-out-loud segments that then never see TV or typically even the Network. Plus you factor in how everyone in this (Cole, JBL, Renee, Regal, Mauro, even guys like Ziggler and Ryder) were all better than they get to be on the main roster, and it's kind of incredible to see this take shape.