Pro Wrestling Only

Superstar Billy Graham DVD

sek69

I'm fairly certain that his 1987 comeback was supposed to be a full time (or at least part time) return to wrestling but his body couldn't handle it and he ended up a manager.

I'm convinced that Vince must be a legit mark for Graham, since we all know how he holds grudges and the whole steroid hooha in the 90s was pretty much started by Superstar's admission of roid use causing his health problems and how easy he obtained said roids in the WWF.

I hate how HHH acts like he's the BIGGEST FAN EVAR~! of whoever the subject of the DVD is.

As far as hearing from people who knew Superstar while he was active, I don't know who else they could have gotten. Bruno certainly wouldn't have taken part, and from reading his website lately I think Bob Backlund is living his 1994 heel gimmick still. That's probably why it seems Dusty had the most to say, since I don't think anyone else from the 70s WWWF gives Vince Jr. the time day.

I know it's just a pipe dream. I just would like HHH to stop doing things on the DVDs. I really don't care what he thinks about the Road Warriors.

Not to nitpick, but I don't think HHH ever participated in the Road Warriors' DVD. I haven't watched the main feature of that set since I bought it, so I'll need to double-check.

Guest Some Guy

HHH was on the Jake Roberts DVD. But, he did work with Jake in 96 and 97. Including the somewhat infamous job he had to do to Jake in the KOTR qualifying match as a result of the Curtain Call.

I bought and watched the Graham DVD and thought the feature was very good. Graham's story is really interesting. My only critisism is that they paint Vince to be the second coming of Christ and Superstar as being an asshole at times.

They covered his whole career from Calgary through the 87 comeback and then onto his drug addictions and multiple surgeries. The 87 comeback was aborted when his hip exploded during a match. He then went on to manage Don Muracco and commentate before Vince fired him (which was what caused his drug addictions to worsen and him to accuse Vince of encouraging steroid use).

Guest DylanWaco

I"m halfway through the book now and it's quite good.

The funny thing is that Graham really shits on Putski as a worker and yet for some fucking reason they include one of those matches on the DVD??

Of course Graham is honest and basically says he wasn't a very good worker, though he hints that his best work was with guys like Patterson and Stevens in Cali. It's totally beliveable, but since the tapes don't exist we'll never know I guess.

Graham also really shits on Dick The Bruiser and Dick Murdoch in the book calling Murdoch a bigot which made me sad even though it's almost definately true.

I just finished watching the DVD, and while it was a really good illustration of Graham's career, there were several things that bugged me:

1. It's getting annoying to see Vince being praised like the next Jesus on *every* DVD they make. OK, he's the boss and he made WWE what it is today, but can they make one tribute to an ex superstar without having a whole segment devoted to how Vince's tears cure cancer.

2. They completely threw Superstar under the bus for the whole steroid trial mess. The feds were looking at Vince for a while and while Graham's lawsuit opened the door they were going to go after Vince no matter what. It was also disgusting to hear them cast doubt on the effects of steroids when this was the first DVD released after Eddie's death.

3. Vince is obviously a huge mark for Superstar. Someone (JR?) said Graham was the model that Vince wanted all his wrestlers to look like, and that would explain why Vince would forgive a guy he seems to put all the blame for being put on trial.

4. HHH needs to shut up. I hate how he's always the biggest fan of whoever the DVD's about. I had to watch WM XII afterwards just to see him get squished by Warrior.

5. It seemed kinda sad to see first how Superstar wanted to turn face and have a longer run as champ (which Vince agreed later would have been huge), only to have the rug pulled out from him because Vince Sr. wanted to go back to the All American Babyface champ. Not only did it send him down a spiral, he ended up having to crawl back to Vince since he was basically broke and his medical problems were piling up. Now it seemed they were using him as a punching bag and he had to agree with whatever was being said since if there's anyone who couldn't afford to lose his Legends deal it's him.

Guest DylanWaco

One thing that is clear if you read the book (and I haven't seen the DVD but the reports of the DVD seem to mirror the book closely) is that Graham really saw Backlund as stealing his spot. I have mentioned before many times that I don't particularly like Bob in the ring. I don't think he's awful, but there is something about him that simply doesn't connect for me. Still Graham is really hard on him and it's pretty clear that Superstar isn't at all concerned with the facts. Backlund drew well as champ. Personally I think it was the nature of the way the belt was booked, but he still drew well. Graham acts as if Backlund wasn't a very good draw and the crowd almost immediatley shit on him and started cheering for the heels. If you go back and watch the tapes it's just not true. On this point I wonder if Graham has influenced Meltzer or Meltzer has influenced Graham since they both tend to parrot this line even though it is totally divergent with the available evidence.

I guess it doesn't really matter. Graham clearly feels like the rug was pulled out from under him right as he was on the verge of stardom. I honestly believe that he thinks if he could have hung on to the belt and turned face HE would have been Hulk Hogan. While I confess that he probably fit that mold better than most others I just don't think it would have happened. Superstar was ahead of his time and maybe Backlund shouldn't have gotten the belt but Graham knew it was gonna happen because Vince had laid out the exact day he would lose it almost a year in advance. He just wasn't mentally prepared for the inevitablity of not being "the man" I guess.

I get that Graham should have been prepared to lose the belt when he was told, but Vince Sr was dumb for not seeing the potential in him. I don't know if he didn't "get" what Superstar was doing, but there was no reason why he couldn't have turned him face.

It was also disgusting to hear them cast doubt on the effects of steroids when this was the first DVD released after Eddie's death.

To be fair to WWE the footage was probably filmed before Eddie's death when they still were in denial over the dangers of steroid abuse.

I get that Graham should have been prepared to lose the belt when he was told, but Vince Sr was dumb for not seeing the potential in him. I don't know if he didn't "get" what Superstar was doing, but there was no reason why he couldn't have turned him face.

Personally I'm a bit sceptical about Graham's long term potential as a babyface champion. I certainly think Vince Sr could have milked Graham's run for a bit longer, but given Graham's drug and health problems, as well as being a very poor in ring worker, I doubt he could have held the gold as long as Backlund or Hogan did and have the same long term success.