Pro Wrestling Only

Superstar Billy Graham DVD

sek69

Any word of what's on it? It's only a 1 disc set so I know it won't be a lot, but I'm looking forward to seeing some 70s WWWF action.

Along the same lines, I wonder if they'd ever do a DVD of Bruno Sammartino. I know he won't have anything to do with WWE now, but it'd be cool if they honored the longest reigning champ in company history.

Highspots says the following matches are expected to be on there:

- Graham vs. Bruno Sammartino from in Baltimore (1977 - wins title)

- Graham vs. Ivan Putski from Madison Square Garden

- Graham vs. Dusty Rhodes from Madison Square Garden

- Graham vs. Bob Backlund from Madison Square Garden (1982)

As for the future, I'm partial to them doing DVDs of Lawler, Slaughter, and Vader.

Guest savagerulz

I'd be more interested in a Sammartino one than the Graham one. Anything involving Sammartino and Zbysko = quality. Graham, despite being a big star just never inspired me really. I always found Ventura to be a million times better on the mic, and Hogan to be a million times better all round.

:blink:

I need one of those puking icons. The level of suck in that match had to have been off the charts.

Yeah, having seen the first match already, the only one of that bunch I have faith in is Graham-Backlund. The Graham-Rhodes match, which I've only really seen clips of, probably isn't nearly as good as their match in Japan that a couple people here have praised.

Highspots says the following matches are expected to be on there:

- Graham vs. Bruno Sammartino from in Baltimore (1977 - wins title)

- Graham vs. Dusty Rhodes from Madison Square Garden

- Graham vs. Bob Backlund from Madison Square Garden (1982)

As for the future, I'm partial to them doing DVDs of Lawler, Slaughter, and Vader.

OK.

I already own Sammartino-Graham with the HOF DVD, so no.

The heat was probably awesome, but Putski sucked. No.

I have a Graham-Dusty MSG match which had a screwy finish that killed it. No.

Graham sucked by 1982. No.

I'll pass.

Saw it in the stores yesterday. The matches mentioned above are there, but they also say there's 6 matches. Right now, I don't know what the other 2 are.

The other 2 are squash matches from AWA TV.

I believe Vince and Backlund are on good terms

I wouldn't be so sure about that, because Backlund did turn down being inducted into the Hall Of Fame in 2004, probably due to Pete Rose being inducted, which may stick in Vince's craw a bit.

Bought it today and watched it. The documentary is one of the finest the WWE has ever done. Participants include (forgive me if I forget any): Graham, his wife Valerie, Vince McMahon, HHH, Hulk Hogan, Jim Ross, Bruce Pritchard, Ric Flair, Gene Okerlund, Dusty Rhodes (who spoke an awful lot), Jimmy Hart, Bobby Heenan and Christian.

Graham is remarkably honest and sincere. He's not afraid to point out any mistakes and take the blame for them. Everyone speaks of him in a positive manner and those such as Vince and JR credit him for being man enough to come back from his mistakes. The realities of his past (drug use, steroid use, etc.) are brought up and done in more of a sad tone, not a destructive tone like, say, on the Ultimate Warrior disc. Everyone praises him as someone who transcended the business. I found it funny when Hogan credits Graham as a huge influence, and HHH afterwards still says that Hogan is a Graham rip-off.

Only part of the documentary that really caused me to roll my eyes is when HHH mentions how it was a big honour to induct Graham into the Hall Of Fame, when he originally wanted to induct Race afterwards, and really only inducted Graham because Vince chose Flair for the Race induction. Not that HHH doesn't admire Graham, but it makes me shake my head when he tries to give this impression that Graham was the be-all and end-all, when it's no secret he has some greater influences.

The extra matches are mentioned above (the Dusty Rhodes match is the Texas Death match which was probably the best on the set). There's also some promos there, from the AWA, WWWF, Mid-Atlantic, and WWF (during the comeback). Also two other stories from Graham, one from Jimmy Hart, and a Bruce Pritchard impersonation.

Recommended for the documentary. If you like the extras, it's an added bonus.

Well for Bret and especially the Road Warriors, JR did call a lot of their big matches.

I don't know why he'd be speaking about the Superstar other than the fact that JR probably doesn't have a whole hell of a lot else do to these days.

Well for Bret and especially the Road Warriors, JR did call a lot of their big matches.

How big of a role did JR even have backstage in NWA? I mean, if he just called their matches, I don't need to listen to him call the Road Warriors "two studs" for an hour. I've rather hear the opinions of the people they worked with and shit instead. It just seemed silly to me.

Guest Bruiser Chong

This is all about the main feature for me. Perhaps I've not seen the proper stuff, but Graham's in-ring stuff never really caught my eye.

Coffey, who would you like to have been on there talking about Graham?

Coffey, who would you like to have been on there talking about Graham?

Oh, honestly, I have no idea. I'm pretty ignorant to Billy Graham and a lot of the other wrestlers of his era. Jim Ross just seemed really out of place to me on that list and I remembered him being all over the other DVD's so I thought I'd question it.

Guest Bruiser Chong

It's just not really like WWE to go too far outside of the company to get folks together for these sorts of programs, so JR isn't really a surprise, his history in the business and all.

For those who've seen it, how much is focused on his "comeback" in 1987? I've always been sort of curious about it, since my knowledge is limited to him supposedly being a participant in the main event at the first Survivor Series (I know he was, but I've heard there was never a real plan to have him be) and he couldn't make it back to the ring, so became a manager/annoying commentator.