Pro Wrestling Only

Dawn Marie Files Complaint against WWE

Strummer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. I heard they sent her down to OVW hoping she'd be pissed about going to the minors but ended up actually being pleased to get more training. Then when they realised they couldn't make her leave, they released her.

Because she was in Playboy and volunteered to improve as a wrestler in OVW she wanted more money that what they were offering so she walked. That's how I remember it.
No, according to the Observer, Christy Hemme was released because Creative had nothing for her.

Guest Crucifixio Jones

It seems the only woman WWE has kept around that's always continued to try and improve has been Trish Stratus.

Funny this subject should come up...I just read on IMDB.com:

Actress Claims Soap Stars Are "Killed Off" When They Become Pregnant

Actress Kari Wuhrer has sued ABC, charging that her character on General Hospital was killed off and she was dismissed last year after she became pregnant. As reported by today's (Friday) New York Times, Wuhrer claims in the lawsuit that other actresses on daytime programs have faced similar situations. "Even one whiff that an actress on an ABC daytime soap has conceived a child is enough to have her character killed off the show," her complaint alleges. She indicated that she intends to call as a witness another General Hospital actress, Lesli Kay, who she claims was similarly dismissed by the producers of the long-running soap opera after she became pregnant.

Me thinks it would serve Dawn Marie well to watch that case with interest.

Guest Some Guy

? ? Former WWE performer Dawn Marie Psaltis, 35,

? Pro Wrestling Torch

Her age and pregnancy were IMO the reasons she was fired. I'm still unclear as to the reasons she was hired, though.

Guest Some Guy

If age were an issue, they would've never hired Sable.

I think Sable was about 29 when they first hired her and she made the company millions. Dawn Maries never really got over and the only memorable thing she did was kill Al Wilson.

EDIT: Sable was 29 when they hired her. IMDB.com has her birthdate listed as 8/8/67.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0581093/

Guest Crucifixio Jones

So that means if Dawn Marie is only 35 now, she was about the same age when they first hired her... Sable was well over 35 when they brought her back.

As far as how much money someone makes the company, we all know that in WWE that is most of the time, completely out of the performer's hands.

Guest Cam Chaos

If age were an issue of employment at the WWE, how come Mae Young, Sgt Slaughter, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair and Moolah get TV time and are employed by the WWE as occasional in ring performers? Besides, 35 is hardly the age of retirement so even if they claim that as a reason for dismissal it's laughable, she could have continued on for many years compared to some of the people listed above who are injury ridden yet are still used. Also, if it comes down to the issue of male performers being more valuable in their advanced years than female ones, that's gonna open up a huge can of worms and get women's rights groups in on the act.

Guest Some Guy

So that means if Dawn Marie is only 35 now, she was about the same age when they first hired her...  Sable was well over 35 when they brought her back.

As far as how much money someone makes the company, we all know that in WWE that is most of the time, completely out of the performer's hands.

Sable is 38 now. She was brought back in 2003. 36 is not well over 35. Plus, Sable was a huge star and at that time Vince was all about bringing back former stars.

Sable got over and then they pushed her. She did have some control over it, for whatever reason she connected with fans. At that time in 1997 Vince actually listened to the fans and pushed the people who they were responding to. Hence the rise of Austin, Sable, Foley, Rock, and a few others. That practice pretty much stopped in 1999 when Vince forced HHH down the fans' throats and refused to push guys who the fans wanted to see (Jericho and D'Lo come to mind).

On the age thing: Hogan and Flair are both over 50, they however have/had a track record of drawing money so Vince uses them. Sable was a bigger star and draw than both Hogan and Flair in 1998 and 1999. Vince doesn't ramdonly bring back old guys who have never drawn a dime for him (except for Kevin Nash). Dawn Marie never drew a dime in the wrestling business. She was never over in ECW other than drwaing the normal "Show your tits" and other such chants that ECW fans yelled at every female. She also never got any more over in WWE than any other of the 30 generic divas.

I think it was shitty for them to release her while she was pregnant, but she wasn't setting the world on fire before that and she was going to released at some point. If they had waited until after she had the kid to release her then they would have been lambasted for firing a women who just had a child. I think they looked at her and realized that she is pregnant, in her mid 30s, never added anything to the show and it was time to cut her lose.

Guest Some Guy

If age were an issue of employment at the WWE, how come Mae Young, Sgt Slaughter, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair and Moolah get TV time and are employed by the WWE as occasional in ring performers?

Hogan, Flair, Slaughter, and Moolah were big stars at one point and people feel some sense of nostalgia when they see them. Vince finds mae Young to be amusing.

Besides, 35 is hardly the age of retirement so even if they claim that as a reason for dismissal it's laughable,

They didn't claim that, I did. WWE would be sued if they ever said that they were firing a woman for being too old.

she could have continued on for many years compared to some of the people listed above who are injury ridden yet are still used.

Continued doing what? She wasn't doing anything before she was fired.

Also, if it comes down to the issue of male performers being more valuable in their advanced years than female ones, that's gonna open up a huge can of worms and get women's rights groups in on the act.

It comes down to value, not gender. Hulk Hogan is going to get a few more people to watch a show. Dawn Marie is not.

Guest Some Guy

for whatever reason she connected with fans.

I can think of two reasons....
Sure, but there was something about her that made fans pay to see her. She had some sort of charisma beyond the fake tits. If all it took were fake tits for a woman to be a huge draw in wrestling then WWE's business would be booming right now.

Yeah but she was one of the first to flaunt the huge fake tits. Sunny was around but she wasn't super-exposed like Sable was. Remember the body paint hand prints? Elizabeth and Missy Hyatt were around in the older days but they were pretty conservative. Sunny was around but covered up for the most part (at least on-screen). Sable didn't leave a whole lot to the imagination plus she had the occasional matches where he's pull out a Bomb or TKO.

Guest Cam Chaos

If age were an issue of employment at the WWE, how come Mae Young, Sgt Slaughter, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair and Moolah get TV time and are employed by the WWE as occasional in ring performers?

Hogan, Flair, Slaughter, and Moolah were big stars at one point and people feel some sense of nostalgia when they see them. Vince finds mae Young to be amusing.

Besides, 35 is hardly the age of retirement so even if they claim that as a reason for dismissal it's laughable,

They didn't claim that, I did. WWE would be sued if they ever said that they were firing a woman for being too old.

she could have continued on for many years compared to some of the people listed above who are injury ridden yet are still used.

Continued doing what? She wasn't doing anything before she was fired.

Also, if it comes down to the issue of male performers being more valuable in their advanced years than female ones, that's gonna open up a huge can of worms and get women's rights groups in on the act.

It comes down to value, not gender. Hulk Hogan is going to get a few more people to watch a show. Dawn Marie is not.
Your points may be valid in terms of the WWE, but I think it could be argued

1) she was more of a long term asset to the company than the aforementioned performers with a greater potential upside since she is still young and able bodied compared to others still employed by the WWE

2) the reason she was not being used before she fell pregnant and went home was because the WWE couldn't find anything for her to be involved in, not because she wasn't willing and able to perform what was asked of her when she was used or wasn't willing to return to work after her pregnancy

3) that she was a trouble free performer when she was used unlike others such as Hogan, both in terms of booking and injuries, and the only reason she was not more valuable to the company was because she was not invested in to the same extent as others

4) Other people, both male and female, that are on the roster are used sparingly but still remain employed even though their value to the company is questionable also, so why was Dawn singled out and fired if it was not because she became pregnant?

Whether you find it acceptable to release a pregnant woman because she's in her mid thirties and hasn't been a great success for the company or not is one thing, however I doubt many judges would feel that is a fair and reasonable cause and time for to release someone from their job.

Guest savagerulz

? ? Former WWE performer Dawn Marie Psaltis, 35,

? Pro Wrestling Torch

Her age and pregnancy were IMO the reasons she was fired. I'm still unclear as to the reasons she was hired, though.
Catfight hotness. If it weren't for her, Lance Storm and Justin Credible would have had Danny Doring and Roadkill's career instead of...a slightly better career than them.

Guest Some Guy

Your points may be valid in terms of the WWE, but I think it could be argued

1) she was more of a long term asset to the company than the aforementioned performers with a greater potential upside since she is still young and able bodied compared to others still employed by the WWE

Whether she was more of a long term asset is questionable, but the short term gains that theoretically could be made from say a Hogan/Austin match would supercede any long term gains that Dawn Marie would ever bring.

2) the reason she was not being used before she fell pregnant and went home was because the WWE couldn't find anything for her to be involved in, not because she wasn't willing and able to perform what was asked of her when she was used or wasn't willing to return to work after her pregnancy

They did give her a high profile (although incredibly stupid) angle at one point and she failed to get over. Her willingness to work is imaterial, it is her ability to work that matters.

3) that she was a trouble free performer when she was used unlike others such as Hogan, both in terms of booking and injuries, and the only reason she was not more valuable to the company was because she was not invested in to the same extent as others

She wasn't as worthy of being invested in as Hogan.

4) Other people, both male and female, that are on the roster are used sparingly but still remain employed even though their value to the company is questionable also, so why was Dawn singled out and fired if it was not because she became pregnant?

Other performers who have been used sparingly have also been released. Dawn wasn't singled out because she was pregnant, she was released because she was worthless to the company before she became pregnant.

Whether you find it acceptable to release a pregnant woman because she's in her mid thirties and hasn't been a great success for the company or not is one thing, however I doubt many judges would feel that is a fair and reasonable cause and time for to release someone from their job.

I don't think it was a very nice thing to do but the fact of the matter is that she had no upside given her age, not getting over, and not having any discernable talent.

Are you arguing that Dawn Marie should not have been released at all or that she should not have been released while she was pregnant? If Vince cut her after she gave birth would that have been ok? Or should he be compelled to employ her for the rest of her life because she decided to have a child?

I'm sure there have been male employees of WWE who have been released while their wives were pregnant. Is that an evil thing?

I think that people are searching to find more examples of how evil Vince is. I thought the whole, "how could he fire Haas and Jackie right after they got married" thing was a crock of shit. What difference does their marriage make? I think they wanted to get rid of Jackie Gayda and knew that Haas would probably quit in reponse (much like Lawler left after they dumped Kat) so they just cut both of them at the same time to nip any drama in the bud. They've since brought Haas back, depite TNA seemingly not having any interest.

I'm not really defending Vince or saying that he is a even a decent person, but sometimes things get blown out of proportion. He let a lot of guys who drew money for his company in the past go because they weren't drawing for him now (The Duds, Billy Gunn, Road Dogg, Jeff Hardy, etc...). Dawn Marie never had and never would have drawn him any money and as such she was expendable.

Guest Cam Chaos

she was released because she was worthless to the company before she became pregnant

Then why was she not released before she became pregnant?

Are you arguing that Dawn Marie should not have been released at all or that she should not have been released while she was pregnant? If Vince cut her after she gave birth would that have been ok? Or should he be compelled to employ her for the rest of her life because she decided to have a child?

I'm not suggesting she should have been employed for the rest of her life at all. All I am saying is that given the obvious inconsistencies in terms of WWE's conduct and the time when she was released I think Dawn has a solid case against the WWE for wrongful dismissal.

Guest Some Guy

she was released because she was worthless to the company before she became pregnant

She was lucky.

I'm not suggesting she should have been employed for the rest of her life at all. All I am saying is that given the obvious inconsistencies in terms of WWE's conduct and the time when she was released I think Dawn has a solid case against the WWE for wrongful dismissal.

I don't. She, along with countless others were released around the same time. She just happened to be pregnant and the rest weren't.

If you want to talk about a really shitty thing to do, then talk about how they fired Test while he was rehabbing from an injury suffered in a WWE ring.

Guest Cam Chaos

She was lucky.

I don't. She, along with countless others were released around the same time. She just happened to be pregnant and the rest weren't.

If you want to talk about a really shitty thing to do, then talk about how they fired Test while he was rehabbing from an injury suffered in a WWE ring.

Add A-Train and Matt Hardy to that list.

I'm sure if they had tried they could have taken some legal action, however they probably couldn't be bothered fearing they'd be driven into the poor house going up against the WWE and in Hardy's case, he was an idiot and actually went back after they'd fucked him over.