Pro Wrestling Only

Those of you not watching RAW ...

Loss

... just missed a great match between Chris Jericho, Christian and Shelton Benjamin that I'm tempted to call the WWE MOTY at this point. I actually think it was better than anything at WM. I wish I was taping this so I could watch it again and confirm that. Just some incredible high spots from all of them that made sense within the match, fantastic intensity and a nice match structure. Benjamin has truly had a phenomenal 24 hours. The time is now to shoot him to the moon.

Benoit and Edge have big shoes to fill for Match of the Night, but they do seem to be trying their best to do it, especially Benoit. This arm selling is the best thing I've seen out of Chris in some time -- I think they should go all Kawada with the knee injury and have Benoit wrestle with a bad arm for most of the year. The sympathy he would get would be unreal.

Guest Flyboy

I definitely think that ending hurt the chance that Benoit/Edge had of being MOTN... even though it was the only match I saw (I watched the second half of the match as the National Championship was at halftime).

Guest Bruiser Chong

What's the point of Austin being out there? That Simon System seems stupid, but way to kill it right out the gate. I swear, anytime Steve Austin has been on TV since 2003, the conclusion of the segement is almost guaranteed to be kick, wham, stunner.

And that Batista/Orton encounter was a good way to send him on the shelf.

Why does Austin get cheered? He's an asshole with an obvious severe drinking problem who picks on those who are weaker and less loved than him. I understand the appeal of his character, but it truly is a sad reflection on society when this type of character is a babyface.

Guest Bruiser Chong

He's funny, but he doesn't move anything forward. It'd be different if there was a point to anything he was involved with, but there's not. He comes out, drinks some beers, talks down to whoever he's interrupted, stuns them, and that's it. The lines are occassionally different, but the scenario is a carbon copy everytime.

The Michaels segment, on the other hand, was well-played. I was fearing we'd get another Hogan run-in and have a repeat of last night, but luckily that wasn't the case. I think I dig Hassan.

They didn't start any new programs tonight, which has me thinking the draft is coming soon. Backlash looks to have HHH/Batista and Hogan/Shawn v Hassan/Davari on top. Shawn hinted at working a program with Hogan over the weekend, so the tag match could be the start of the feud.

The triple threat match was as good a 7 minute match I've ever seen, too bad it was just filler.

Benoit going over is questionable because as soon as Edge gains momentum, he takes a few steps back.

Two good mathes, but very mundane booking tonight. Hopefully the dull booking is a sign the draft is coming soon.

Why does Austin get cheered? He's an asshole with an obvious severe drinking problem who picks on those who are weaker and less loved than him. I understand the appeal of his character, but it truly is a sad reflection on society when this type of character is a babyface.

That was the only part of the show I caught last night. I find JR's calling of Austin being an "unpredictable" rattlesnake to be extremely funny.

I have no VCR, believe it or not, but you're making me wanna get up at 3:30 in the morning tomorrow. A replay of Raw is shown at that time, and I wanna see if that Jericho/Benjamin/Christian match is as good as you say it is.

The first one. The second one was a nice little match, but the first one was great. Not just for the sleeperhold, but for everything in it. I wish I had that one as well.

Booker/Henry was a nice feud that I wish could have lasted longer than it did.

Guest Some Guy

I liked Raw overall tonight. The 3 way tore it down and Benoit gave Edge a pretty good match, altough I can't figure out why Edge didn't win.

The Austin thing I didn't have a problem with. Nova and Maven are already dead in the water.

HBK cut a pretty good promo and took a pretty stiff looking kick to the face by Khosrow. I was actually hoping for a Hogan run in. I figure they can get one throw away match out od Hogan and one "dream" match. Do Hogan and HBK vs Hassan/Davairi at Backlash and Hogan/HBK at the next Raw PPV. In the tag match at least Hassan doesn't have to job and they could easily tease the build for HBK/Hogan. I doubt that match would draw much and I don't think even Shawn can get a good match out of Hogan at this point I want to see it. It would be my childhood hero vs. my favorite wrestler.

HHH played a very monir part in the show and cut what would have been an effective promo from anybody but him. When he says that he's going to take back his title people believe him and then don't buy the PPV. I think WWE should insitute a policy where after HHH loses the title he is not allowed a rematch for at least 3 months. They could have held off the rematch until Summerslam and given the Backlash match to Edge. If you've got Hogan returning on that PPV it will probably do a better or the same number as last year's Backlash.