Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-22-MPPW-TV] Steve Bradley vs Ali

soup23

Bradley is worked up outside and a blowjob is proposed to calm him down. Cornette informs us his wrestling license is expired which feels like bad managerial work on his part. Randy Hales comes out and says he only cares about what the people want and the match begins. Ali hits a good plancha onto Bradley on the outside. Bradley continues to look really solid and Ali has good power moves. This gets a good amount of time for Memphis studio wrestling and has the usual tropes paid off for the babyface with Cornette’s interference being negated by Brandon Baxter and Ali picking up the big victory meaning Bradley has to leave the promotion. **3/4

Steve Bradley is like a version of Rob Van Dam that is a good worker. Ali works hard, but Bradley is clearly the more seasoned guy of the two, and Bradley carries him through a strong TV match. Good booking here with Brandon Baxter offsetting Jim Cornette to set up Bradley's departure from PPW TV. I've really enjoyed watching him there in 1999-2000. He was such a prospect and I wish he would have made it to the big time. Really nice power-speed contrast here, and a longer TV match than usual. ***1/4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Solid match. Bradley has another competent outing againt Ali. I would agree that Bradley is the bizarro version of Rob Van Dam, but from my viewpoint, Bradley is a much worse wrestler since he is terribly bland and lacking personality. I liked the angle in the match with Baxter tossing the tennis racket as it left the viewer wondering whether he was trying to betray Ali. It would make me want to tune in the next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Ali looks like Ahmed Johnson, while Bradley is accompanied by both Jim Cornette and Synn. Title match for Bradley’s MPPW Heavyweight championship, with the added stipulation that if Bradley loses he leaves Power Pro Wrestling. Prior to the match Cornette gets on the mic and says that they’re not going to have the match as he’s just realised Steve Bradley’s wrestling license expired at 09:00 am this morning. Dave Brown tells him that he’s not going to pull that one, and even if it has expired they’re going to get on the phone and get it extended until at least noon. Cornette then claims that this match is illegal as Steve Bradley doesn’t have a valid license, and if he gets arrested it’s on Dave Brown’s head, as he’s not going to have the Commission come down on him. Randy Hales is out and ‘fires’ Cornette, to which he responds that he can’t fire him, he doesn’t even pay him! Hales tells Bradley to get in the ring or he’s done.

Bradley with a boot to the mid-section, he goes to whip Ali into the ropes, Ali reverses, Bradley ducks a couple of clothesline but gets caught with a spinebuster. Ali stays on the attack and it’s his turn to whip Bradley into the ropes, however he grabs hold of them and steps outside for a breather and to talk tactics with Cornette. They don’t have long to chat and Ali with a pescado to the floor on him. Ali misses a big splash to the corner and Bradley with a suplex. He throws Ali out to the floor where Cornette and Synn are able to get some shots of their own in, before Bradley follows with an Asai moonsault on to him. Bradley with a DDT for a two count. Bodyslam, then a series of moonsaults off the bottom, middle and top ropes, however Ali moves on the final and Bradley lands flush on the canvas. Brandon Baxter comes out and we now have three managers at ringside. Ali whips Bradley into the corner, goes for a splash, but he pulls the referee in front of him and he splashes him instead. Cornette climbs on the apron and Ali headbutts him, however this slight distraction was all Bradley needed. Baxter picks up the tennis racket, throws it to Bradley and he clocks Ali in the head with it. The referee comes around as Bradley makes the covers, but Ali kicks out for a cracking near fall (quality facials from Bradley here). Ali with a big powerbomb, although he’s too tired to now take advantage. Seven is next out and up on the apron. Ali clobbers him, ‘Ali Driver’ (double underhook suplex but dropped into a face first slam) to Bradley and for the second week in a row we have a new MPPW champion. Baxter snatches the belt and heads to the back with it as the show goes off the air.

Really enjoyed the pre-match between Cornette and Dave Brown, although could’ve done without Randy Hales coming out. He’s no talker and this was perfectly fine with just Corny and Dave. I’ve never seen any of her OVW stuff yet, but I’m struggling to see the point and value of Synn and she brings absolutely nothing to this. Best Power Pro match so far and a lot of that has to be attributed to Bradley who continues to impress. He’s clearly the one controlling the match and I have a hunch that Ali is not as good as Bradley made him look. I was unsure after the Constantino/Bradley match, but Cornette has to have a hand in booking this as his fingerprints are again all over the finish.

Ali was the guy in Power Pro during its final year and a half and this was the start of the push. Bradley loses as he's headed to MCW in a couple months. The match was good for a tv match as Ali had a ton of potential and Bradley could more than hold his own. I was dreading the ref bump but they actually did a clever finish by not making the Baxter heel turn the finish.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-01-22-MPPW-TV] Steve Bradley vs Ali