Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-05-ECW-Tallahassee, FL] C.W. Anderson vs Super Crazy

soup23

Lou E. Dangerously is getting pretty grating. I still like CW but honestly if he can’t get much from Crazy, I may lose hope in him. Really hot start for Crazy culminating in a Quebrada to the outside. Lou is able to distract Crazy enough for CW to take over after a superkick with a chair. CW calls in for tables and I am not too fond of him doing a Sabu tribute act of going for tables immediately. Crazy fires back and looks like he has things into control until CW gives him a spinebuster through the table. I loved the way that was set up with the heel taking over. Crazy snaps off a tornado DDT pretty quickly and then retreats two more tables. After bonking CW’s head with a chair, he legdrops him through table #1. Lou teases getting into the ring to break that pin up. Lou and the goon squad get decked and Crazy sets up table #2. Crazy hits a moonsault on the table but it doesn’t break. He then does a really dangerous lionsult on the table where he hits the legs that are now sticking up. He is able to get the win from there. I would have liked to have seen more control from CW on top but this was a fun garbage style match and Crazy continues to be one of my favorites of 2000 so far. **3/4

I loved the spinebuster spot because it was a case of Crazy bringing the table in and his plans getting detoured, only for him to get the worst of it. There was lots to like about this, but the action was too back-and-forth without either guy really getting a chance to control things for a long period of time. Kind of a cliched ECW match with all the table spots too. I liked a lot of the spots for creativity and brutality, but didn't like the layout much. Crazy is really lucky he didn't get seriously hurt on that lionsault where he hit the leg of the upside down table.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Lou E. Dangerously has something to say, but I’m really not interested. CW opens with some lefts that stagger Crazy. After they mess up a simple slide through the legs, Crazy with a headscissors and CW takes to the outside. Bill Whiles is up on the apron and gets met with a dropkick, and as the Dangerous Alliance confer on the floor, Crazy with an Asai moonsault onto them. He goes to nail CW with a chair but Anderson gets in there first with a superkick, sending it into his own face before Whiles passes him a table. CW climbs the turnbuckles as if he’s about to put Crazy through it, but he’s too slow, Crazy swipes his legs out from under him and hits a rana off the top. Punches in the corner with the crowd counting along in Spanish, CW then reverses an Irish whip and spinebuster through the table for a two. Lovely overhead suplex/throw by Anderson. Whip to the corner, Crazy avoids the charge and a springboard tornado DDT. He heads outside to bring in a couple more tables, then places a chair over CW’s head and hits the legs of it with another chair. Springboard legdrop puts CW through a table, but the referee just stops counting at two when he sees Lou has gotten up on the apron (not even in the ring, on the apron!). Whilst the official is seeing to CW, Whiles enters the ring walking right past him, swings at Crazy (who was grabbed and being held by Lou) but he moves and he nails his manager instead. He throws a chair at Whiles and then sets up another table. Moonsault off the top, but the table doesn’t break and just flips over with CW underneath it. Crazy improvises and goes for a Lionsault, however his positioning is off as he lands on the upright table leg in a horrific looking spot. Thankfully he is okay, covers Anderson and this one is over.

This was strange and not what I was expecting at all. I thought we’d have CW utilizing his scientific wrestling to try and keep Crazy grounded, but it not working and Crazy mixing in his flying to eventually come out on top. As it was we got something very reminiscent of the two matches CW had against Sabu last month, right down to the spinebuster through the table and Crazy with a Sabu like top rope rana after Anderson had climbed the turnbuckles. Like when has Super Crazy ever used tables or chairs unless in a ‘death’ match against Tajiri? Here he is using them aplenty. Didn’t like the way the official just stopped counting when Lou E. got up the apron. If he had gotten in the ring I could understand it, but on the apron, no just continue the count. Then we have Bill Whiles getting into the ring brushing right past him and he doesn’t see or hear anything? That moonsault that led to the pin was the scariest thing I’ve seen in this project so far, and that includes Low Ki’s slip off the ladder in that CZW tag match. I genuinely thought he had impaled himself on the upright leg of the ladder. Disjointed, spotty, zero flow, things that annoyed me, just a bad match. I’m certain these two would’ve had a far better match without any of the tables and the like.

• 7 months later...

Enjoyable enough but it's starting to feel like these ECW fancam matches are loaded with plunder out of obligation, rather than anything else. So, it becomes less about the impact of the weapons and more about how the workers build to using each of them. And Crazy, after his series with Tajiri, should know this better than anyone and he stops this from being too meandering with some good energy. I winced and had to look away when he landed right on the table leg at the end and thank God, he didn't hurt him himself because man, that looked nasty. Still, I'd have much rather watched a straight-up match between the two but I understand that wasn't going to happen in front of this crowd at this point but I'm really becoming burned out on table spots. So, I'm happy I have the entire WWF Tag Division to watch this summer.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-02-05-ECW-Tallahassee, FL] C.W. Anderson vs Super Crazy