Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-06-26-PWG-Mystery Vortex III] Chris Hero vs Zack Sabre Jr

ShittyLittleBoots

I remember being blown away by this match when I first watched it, but it was even better on a re-watch over a year later. Goddamn, what a match! The way the story in this progressed felt so natural - first it was a respectful grappling contest between two of the best technical wrestlers in PWG, then ZSJ starts targeting Hero's finger & Hero gets more and more pissed as the match goes on. Then it goes to the underdog formula with Hero bullying & beating the shit out of ZSJ, while ZSJ digs in deep to nail those brutal submissions, wacky pins & cool counters. This was an absolute clinic. ****3/4

• 4 months later...

ZSJ shows that size is no biggie to him as he takes down Chris Hero using his injured finger against him. The finger work here is so good, utterly wince-inducing. Hero eventually dishes up some nasty strikes and one point he takes his bloodied-up finger and starts dripping blood over Zack in a nasty visual. Then it's up for Sabre to find a way out of this one alive.

Phenomenal.

★★★★½

• 4 months later...

What a great match! Definitely the best match I've seen Zack Sabre Jr in. I've been watching some ZSJ over the last week and I want to like his matches, it just feels like something is missing, but it feels like in 2015-on he really takes a step forward. This match is great because of Hero, too, who is looking big here and puts in a great performance. The finger-breaking spots are so much better than Marty Scurll's lame ones in every match, and they build lots of crazy submissions in a way that feels natural and makes ZSJ feel really dangerous. Lots of stiff elbows from Hero and the match transitions through strong control and comeback phases on both ends. Good finish, ZSJ doesn't win enough with submissions (I could be wrong on that).

I see on Cagematch.de they have had some other well-regarded matches, looking forward to checking those out.

****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2015-06-26-PWG-Mystery Vortex III] Chris Hero vs Zack Sabre Jr
  • 1 year later...

Yeah, the finger work is awesome in this. Gotta mention how great Hero's performance is here. That first stomp, he had such indignant horror on his face that just gets even better as Ego and Excalibur explain the cut on his finger. Every time ZSJ got a hold of that arm, you could see the fear in Hero's eyes. Great match with a great sense of escalation all throughout given a rich dimension by the arm work and cut on the hand.

****3/4