Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-20-NJPW] Masa Chono & Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata

Loss

12:21 of 24:26. What we see is kind of jaw dropping great, in large part because of the atmosphere, which is not a major show, but which I expect to be better than Wrestlemania in a few weeks. Chono plays a large part in that, kind of taking on the "an asshole, but our asshole" role, getting name chants, getting cheered for his sneaky low blow and that sort of thing. Nakanishi comes in to stop quite a few submission attempts on Nagata until he is able to get the hot tag, and he's presented as the savior of his team. I still don't get Nakanishi, but I also don't think there's anything really to get. Fans were biting on everything here and as a result, everyone in this had some extra fire. All Japan is still very good, but New Japan has also been very good this year, to the point that I think the question of which promotion is better is officially a toss-up ... at least for now. ****

Team 2000 is probably the strongest faction we have seen in wresting in 2000 besides the Infernales and Crazy Max. They have gotten me to care about Chono which is no short feat. I think having him in these tags and coming in for big showdowns in quick bursts is a big factor in my tolerance level. I also think him being the protege for TenKoji is an easy story to grasp. Nakanishi is someone I despise now and never remember liking but I was invested here towards the finishing run when he was motioning for support and playing off of Nagata. Overall, this was really good action mixed with a hot crowd that makes it memorable. ****

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-03-20-NJPW] Masa Chono & Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata