Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-10-WWF-Raw] Chris Jericho vs Eddy Guerrero

soup23

Jericho really cuts a seething promo beforehand calling Chyna a bitch. The match between these two is good again. Eddy is really finding his side and Chyna did help there. Chyna becomes the x factor allowing him to win again in the same way he did the previous week. I am interested in how this feud that has been fun so far gets transitioned away so quickly because it really feels like we are building to a stipulation PPV match currently. **3/4

Jericho's pre-match promo is pretty vicious. Another fun match. I'm wondering if this was the match that made Vince decide to give Jericho a shot, because the crowd is into him more than they are anyone in WWE right now. I like the dynamic of Eddy and Chyna together thanks to Eddy making it work, even if it was constructed to make fun of Eddy's height and get Chyna over first and foremost.

• 2 months later...

Eddie is looking outstanding here, the best I have seen from him in his couple of WWF appearances to this point. Strange that they decided to do almost the same finish as the week before (ref bump, Chyna low-blows and DDTs Jericho, Jericho sells it forever).

• 3 months later...

Jericho says that contrary to what they may believe, he’s ecstatic that Eddy and Chyna are now together, although he does wonder which one of them is the man in their relationship and who has the bigger package! The crowd are behind Y2J here and he peppers Eddy with rights before dropping him with a forearm. Double underhook into a backbreaker. Eddy’s stooging and using referee Tim White as a shield, although when he sees an opportunity he dropkicks Jericho in the leg taking him off his feet. He goes to work on his knee even busting out a Figure Four. Y2J grabs the ropes for the break and then Eddy lights him up with some stiff chops. Whip to the turnbuckles, but Jericho gets a foot up as Eddy charges at him. Payback time with some chops of his own. Great sunset flip out the corner, however Y2J counters into the ‘Walls of Jericho’. Chyna’s up on the apron and Jericho releases the hold to try and get his hands on her. She drops to the floor out of his reach and a quick roll up by Eddy, with his feet on the ropes for added leverage, gets a two. Chyna tosses the European title to her man and is back on the apron distracting the official. The wrestlers play ‘tug of war’ over the belt, but when Eddy wins, he goes flying backwards into White who gets bumped for the second week in a row. Jericho ducks the belt shot and a flying forearm results in it crashing into Eddy’s own face. Lionsault, but Chyna with a low blow. DDT, she puts Eddy on top, and again he gets the victory.

I preferred this to their match last week as there was an added edginess to things after what happened with Chyna turning on Y2J. Similarly to Jericho/Benoit, these two aren’t afraid to hold anything back on each other and lay those chops in. I did expect Jericho to kick out of the DDT this time though, so a bit of a surprise when it was the finish again. Also you can start to see the development of Eddy’s character here with the stooging and some of his mannerisms.

• 9 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-04-10-WWF-Raw] Chris Jericho vs Eddy Guerrero