Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-05-07-WCW-Slamboree] DDP vs Jeff Jarrett vs David Arquette (Cage)

soup23

A pretty fun garbage style match actually without the bullshit. Arquette stays out of the way and acts as almost a manager in a handicap match only helping Page and directing traffic in the early going. Jeff blades well and that adds a bit of intrigue. The contraction of the cage is very convoluted and there isn’t a natural progression to them climbing but they do anyway. Finish is atrocious with Arquette providing a swerve by blasting a guitar over Page allowing Jarrett to win the title. I don’t know how this makes Jeff look very strong that he has won two belts now because of Page’s ex wife and best buddy. Awesome tosses Kanyon from the cage to the stage as Tony and Scott Hudson do their best JR impersonation. **1/4

Awesome tosses Kanyon from the cage to the stage

Ok i've never seen the match so what is this? you almost make it sound like these guys just showed up after the finish to do this crazy stunt and honestly I sorta hope that's the case.

That is exactly what happened. I guess you can say that Kanyon came out in outrage that Arquette turned on his buddy DDP but they just sort of arrive and then Awesome tosses him off in the Kemper Arena like Loss mentioned. A really stupid angle from a wrestling perspective and a in good taste perspective.

• 2 months later...

I really love Scott Hudson exclaiming "They just broke the wall of the Hardcore Hell" as if it has any kind of reference point or precedent. Mark Madden has been terrible constantly but I really dislike Hudson too.

The idea here is just so silly. They are scaling this thing to get to a "guitar room" and you know what, I understand it. They are weaving the storyline and the characters involved into a match curated specifically for them in a lot of ways. Also the movie tie-in. But when does a match become something that doesn't even resemble a wrestling match?

Okay with that out of the way this is kind of fun. Jarrett and Page both bleed and work hard to get the stip over and really lay into each other. The table bump in the middle tier looked painful as hell. And honestly it takes a lot of guts to even be involved in this. The view from the top of the third cage is just insane and vertigo-inducing.

Jarrett's one-handed afterthought guitar shot on the already crushed DDP made me laugh for some reason. As a wildly overbooked match I kind of liked this slightly better than Kidman/Hogan if only because it was so WILDLY over the top by comparison.

**3/4

• 2 months later...

Quick pre-match interview with Jeff Jarrett where Gene Okerlund speculates that this could well end up being a handicap match. ‘Double J’ doesn’t seem overly concerned and can’t wait to embarrass DDP, that 150lb turd David Arquette, and get his title back.

The match is held inside the ‘Ready to Rumble’ cage; an impressive looking three tier structure. The object being to escape up and out of all three cages and collect the World title belt which is being hung above the third cage. Nice facials from Arquette who looks petrified in there, while the commentators mention how he is under instruction from Page to just stay out the way. Jarrett goes straight for Arquette, but he sprints away and DDP snatches ‘Double J’ before he can really get his hands on him. Uranage from Page. He tells Arquette to go to the top, but he then misses the big splash. DDP grabs the ladder from the outside and as he puts it on the apron, Jarrett with a baseball slide dropkick. As Arquette checks on Page, ‘Double J’ clocks him with a flying forearm that was meant for DDP, but that he ducked out the way of. Page avoids a lariat and lifts Jarrett up for an atomic drop, only to instead post him and with his head also crashing off the ringpost busting him open. He sets up the ladder looking to advance to the ‘hardcore hell’ second level, however as he’s climbing, Jarrett with a belly to back suplex off the ladder. ‘Double J’ tries his luck at escaping, but this time Page counters with a powerbomb. Both men get whipped into the ladder whilst Jarrett also uses it as a weapon, dropping it on DDP’s prone ribs. The two of them climb the ladder together, however Page grabs the roof of the cage and kicks the ladder over, sending Jarrett tumbling over the top rope and onto the rampway. This gives him the chance to exit the first cage and he immediately grabs the bolt cutters to open the door of level two or ‘hardcore hell’ as it is being called. Just as Page gets the door open though he is attacked from behind by ‘Double J’. He nails DDP with a chair and now he’s bleeding too. More weapon shots as David Arquette watches on from below. DDP rams Jarrett into one side of the cage and it comes off its hinges, collapsing under the pressure (and making me jump in the process!). Powerslam through a table. As they continue to fight on the second tier, Arquette leaves the bottom cage and climbs all the way up to the top of the structure (allegedly 42ft and looking every inch of that). DDP goes for a ‘Diamond Cutter’ onto a chair when he’s jumped by Mike Awesome. ‘Diamond Cutter’ on Awesome and in stereo, Jarrett and Page make their way up to the third tier, or ‘the guitar room’. They both try to level the other with a guitar but neither connects, and Page then hands a guitar to Arquette. DDP slams the cage door on Jarrett’s head, and as he climbs again, Arquette turns on him and breaks the guitar over his head. Jarrett climbs to the top, he and Arquette embrace, before grabbing the title belt to become World champion again. Post-match, Awesome is about to powerbomb DDP on the cage when Kanyon is out for the save. Bad idea as he ends up getting tossed off the roof of the first tier and onto the entrance rampway. Tony Schiavone goes all Jim Ross on us as the crowd chant ‘Holy Shit’, and the PPV closes with Jarrett and Arquette still celebrating.

First up, huge props to all three men (and especially to Page and Jarrett) for doing what they did here. That was a seriously high contraption and rather them than me up there! This was primarily a singles match, as bar the missed splash and a couple of ‘accidental’ bumps’, Arquette stayed out the way of the action. This wasn’t the best Jarrett/Page stuff, but given the limitations of having to wrestle and fight so much on the roof of that cage, it wasn’t bad either. I’m sure that the one section of cage collapsing was planned, but it made me jump nonetheless. DDP needs to re-evaluate his friends though, after first Kimberly turning on him last month and now Arquette this! Winning the title once this way doesn’t make you look the strongest, but that’s twice Jarrett has pretty much backdoored his way into becoming World champion.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-05-07-WCW-Slamboree] DDP vs Jeff Jarrett vs David Arquette (Cage)