Pro Wrestling Only

Flair vs Muta at SuperBrawl 91?

spaldoni

Hey everybody I've been on an early 90s WCW kick and just watched SuperBrawl 91. Tatsumi Fujinami is a legend in Japan and him versus Ric Flair in Japan was a huge money maker. However I don't think a lot of fans in the states were to familiar with him. I know they had the pay per view in Japan that set the SuperBrawl main event up but I just don't think there was enough time to really build Fujinami up to the WCW fans. I was thinking they should of put The Great Muta in this spot, challenging Flair for the title. Muta was already over in the states and also had more seasoning since his last WCW run. I think Muta would of generated more excitement and been a fresh opponent for Flair at the new pay per view. As always I love hearing opinions so what do you think? Also feel free to rebook the entire card as I love reading fantasy booking as well :)

• 6 years later...

It would actually be easy to pull off. Muta was at the event in Japan where Fujinami defeated Flair for the belt to begin with. He was even in the semi main (defeating Sting) so you'd just have to swap their spots on the card.

Muta's previous run had him feuding with Sting, Lex Luger and Flair himself as part of Gary Hart International so the WCW audience should have had no problem accepting him in this role.

And as for rebooking the card... yeah I'll get back to that because it could use some work.

Okay so I've been researching the build to the show and I had to rework the build more than I expected. Here's what I got so far.

Ric Flair: America's champion.

In addition to changing Flair's opponent to Muta, I also changed the promotion of the event in Japan. Irl the match's finish was presented differently in Japan and America. In Japan, Fujinami won the NWA World title by pinfall while WCW claimed Fujinami had been disqualified for throwing Flair over the top rope and ignored the NWA belt changing hands. 

Likewise the match at SuperBrawl was promoted differently in each country. In Japan it was a title vs title match with Fujinami's NWA title vs Flair's WCW title. In the states however the story was Flair seeking revenge and "defending WCW and America." To simplify things, in our scenario WCW will join New Japan in recognizing the title change and promoting the rematch as title vs title.

The United States title picture.

IRL the US title wasn't defended at the inaugural SuperBrawl as then champion Lex Luger instead teamed with Sting to challenge The Steiner Brothers for the WCW Tag Team Titles. This in spite of the fact that Luger was in a active feud with Nikita Koloff. So the simple change I'm making is that Nikita gets his shot at SuperBrawl.

The World Tag Title match.

First a history lesson. Doom (Butch Reed & Ron Simmons) beat the Steiners for the belts at Capital Combat in May 1990 holding them until 1991 WrestleWar where (after turning face in late 90) they dropped them to The Freebirds (Michael Hayes & Jimmy Garvin). Due to WCW's insane taping schedule however, Hayes and Garvin had already dropped the belts to the Steiners six days prior. Doom would then split up with Reed reverting to a heel and they would face off in a "Thunder-Doom" match which Simmons won.

I would keep Doom heel until WrestleWar where they would drop the titles back to the Steiners in a double dog collar match. At SuperBrawl they meet in a "final encounter" steel cage match.

Brian Pillman's hunt for revenge.

At WrestleWar, Sid Vicious famously powerbombed Pillman repeatedly during the Wargames match with Pillman's head at one point bouncing off the roof of the cage causing Pillman's friend. El Gigante to stop the match on his behalf. Fast-forward to SuperBrawl and Pillman is feuding with Barry Windham with the two having a (honestly quite good) taped fist match which Windham won while Sid jobbed to Gigante in stretcher match that lasted less than 3 minutes and ended with Sid being pinned.

In our story, Pillman sells a injury for a couple of weeks before coming back and starting a feud with Sid culminating in a Falls Count Anywhere match.

Sting vs Windham

With neither man having a match in the restructured card I figure the best thing to do here is put them with each other. Windham tried to help Sid steal NWA World Heavyweight Title at Halloween Havok 1990. Between that, Wargames and Sting's eternal feud with the Horsemen I feel this makes enough sense.

Streamlining the undercard.

There were 13 matches on the inaugural SuperBrawl and frankly a number of them didn't deserve it. Ricky Morton jobbed to Dan Spivey in just over 3 minutes. Nikita put away Tommy Rich in 4 1/2 minutes. Oz (Kevin Nash) beat some rando in 26 seconds and Big Josh (Matt Borne) vs Black Bart screams TV match.

Bare in mind Morton and Rich were two thirds of the WCW Six Man Tag Team Champions with the Junkyard Dog. As such they will be defending those belts against Kevin Sullivan and his charges, Black Blood (Billy Jack Haynes) and the One Man Gang. 

The TV title match between Arn Anderson Bobby Eaton and the match between The Freebirds and the Young Pistols (Tracy Smothers & Steve Armstrong) can both go ahead like IRL. Dustin Rhodes vs Terrace Taylor w/Alexandra York can happen on a televised pre-show.

So with all the changes made, the new card for SuperBrawl 1 looks like...

Main Event. Title vs Title

WCW World Heavyweight Champion "Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs NWA World Heavyweight Champion The Great Muta.

"Final Encounter" Steel Cage WCW World Tag Team Title match.

The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott)(c) vs Doom (Butch Reed & Ron Simmons) w/"The Godfather" Theodore Long

NWA United States Title.

"The Total Package" Lex Luger(c) vs "The Russian Nightmare" Nikita Koloff

Sting vs Barry Windham

Falls Count Anywhere.

"Flyin" Brian Pillman vs Sid Vicious

WCW World Six Man Tag Team Titles

Junkyard Dog, Ricky Morton & "Wildfire" Tommy Rich vs Kevin Sullivan, One Man Gang & Black Blood

WCW Television Title

"The Enforcer" Arn Anderson(c) vs "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton

For the vacant WCW United States Title.

The Freebirds (Michael Hayes Jimmy Garvin) vs The Young Pistols (Tracy Smothers & Steve Armstrong)

What do you think @spaldoni?

On 5/13/2017 at 10:43 PM, spaldoni said:

Hey everybody I've been on an early 90s WCW kick and just watched SuperBrawl 91. Tatsumi Fujinami is a legend in Japan and him versus Ric Flair in Japan was a huge money maker. However I don't think a lot of fans in the states were to familiar with him. I know they had the pay per view in Japan that set the SuperBrawl main event up but I just don't think there was enough time to really build Fujinami up to the WCW fans. I was thinking they should of put The Great Muta in this spot, challenging Flair for the title. Muta was already over in the states and also had more seasoning since his last WCW run. I think Muta would of generated more excitement and been a fresh opponent for Flair at the new pay per view. As always I love hearing opinions so what do you think? Also feel free to rebook the entire card as I love reading fantasy booking as well :)

It probably would have made more sense at the time, and I'm wondering why they didn't go with that since Muto would win his first major singles title a year later. 

On 11/29/2023 at 1:12 AM, Autistic Dragon said:

Okay so I've been researching the build to the show and I had to rework the build more than I expected. Here's what I got so far.

Ric Flair: America's champion.

In addition to changing Flair's opponent to Muta, I also changed the promotion of the event in Japan. Irl the match's finish was presented differently in Japan and America. In Japan, Fujinami won the NWA World title by pinfall while WCW claimed Fujinami had been disqualified for throwing Flair over the top rope and ignored the NWA belt changing hands. 

Likewise the match at SuperBrawl was promoted differently in each country. In Japan it was a title vs title match with Fujinami's NWA title vs Flair's WCW title. In the states however the story was Flair seeking revenge and "defending WCW and America." To simplify things, in our scenario WCW will join New Japan in recognizing the title change and promoting the rematch as title vs title.

The United States title picture.

IRL the US title wasn't defended at the inaugural SuperBrawl as then champion Lex Luger instead teamed with Sting to challenge The Steiner Brothers for the WCW Tag Team Titles. This in spite of the fact that Luger was in a active feud with Nikita Koloff. So the simple change I'm making is that Nikita gets his shot at SuperBrawl.

The World Tag Title match.

First a history lesson. Doom (Butch Reed & Ron Simmons) beat the Steiners for the belts at Capital Combat in May 1990 holding them until 1991 WrestleWar where (after turning face in late 90) they dropped them to The Freebirds (Michael Hayes & Jimmy Garvin). Due to WCW's insane taping schedule however, Hayes and Garvin had already dropped the belts to the Steiners six days prior. Doom would then split up with Reed reverting to a heel and they would face off in a "Thunder-Doom" match which Simmons won.

I would keep Doom heel until WrestleWar where they would drop the titles back to the Steiners in a double dog collar match. At SuperBrawl they meet in a "final encounter" steel cage match.

Brian Pillman's hunt for revenge.

At WrestleWar, Sid Vicious famously powerbombed Pillman repeatedly during the Wargames match with Pillman's head at one point bouncing off the roof of the cage causing Pillman's friend. El Gigante to stop the match on his behalf. Fast-forward to SuperBrawl and Pillman is feuding with Barry Windham with the two having a (honestly quite good) taped fist match which Windham won while Sid jobbed to Gigante in stretcher match that lasted less than 3 minutes and ended with Sid being pinned.

In our story, Pillman sells a injury for a couple of weeks before coming back and starting a feud with Sid culminating in a Falls Count Anywhere match.

Sting vs Windham

With neither man having a match in the restructured card I figure the best thing to do here is put them with each other. Windham tried to help Sid steal NWA World Heavyweight Title at Halloween Havok 1990. Between that, Wargames and Sting's eternal feud with the Horsemen I feel this makes enough sense.

Streamlining the undercard.

There were 13 matches on the inaugural SuperBrawl and frankly a number of them didn't deserve it. Ricky Morton jobbed to Dan Spivey in just over 3 minutes. Nikita put away Tommy Rich in 4 1/2 minutes. Oz (Kevin Nash) beat some rando in 26 seconds and Big Josh (Matt Borne) vs Black Bart screams TV match.

Bare in mind Morton and Rich were two thirds of the WCW Six Man Tag Team Champions with the Junkyard Dog. As such they will be defending those belts against Kevin Sullivan and his charges, Black Blood (Billy Jack Haynes) and the One Man Gang. 

The TV title match between Arn Anderson Bobby Eaton and the match between The Freebirds and the Young Pistols (Tracy Smothers & Steve Armstrong) can both go ahead like IRL. Dustin Rhodes vs Terrace Taylor w/Alexandra York can happen on a televised pre-show.

So with all the changes made, the new card for SuperBrawl 1 looks like...

Main Event. Title vs Title

WCW World Heavyweight Champion "Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs NWA World Heavyweight Champion The Great Muta.

"Final Encounter" Steel Cage WCW World Tag Team Title match.

The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott)(c) vs Doom (Butch Reed & Ron Simmons) w/"The Godfather" Theodore Long

NWA United States Title.

"The Total Package" Lex Luger(c) vs "The Russian Nightmare" Nikita Koloff

Sting vs Barry Windham

Falls Count Anywhere.

"Flyin" Brian Pillman vs Sid Vicious

WCW World Six Man Tag Team Titles

Junkyard Dog, Ricky Morton & "Wildfire" Tommy Rich vs Kevin Sullivan, One Man Gang & Black Blood

WCW Television Title

"The Enforcer" Arn Anderson(c) vs "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton

For the vacant WCW United States Title.

The Freebirds (Michael Hayes Jimmy Garvin) vs The Young Pistols (Tracy Smothers & Steve Armstrong)

What do you think @spaldoni?

This is pretty good, and I could see this happening but wrestling bookers are strange creatures and sometimes trip themselves up for no reason. :lol: