Pro Wrestling Only

The Eddie-sploitation continues....

sek69

From Meltz:

-To make a bad angle even worse, Vickie Guerrero and her daughters will be stationed at ringside during the Rey Mysterio vs. Randy Orton match at No Way Out on 2/19. To say there is a lot of heat on this decision is this week's major understatement.

I don't know whats worse, getting Vicki and the kids involved when this whole deal is about getting Orton over, or the clowns at DVDVR who are telling people to stop complaining about the angle if his wife's okay with it.

Guest savagerulz

From Meltz:

-To make a bad angle even worse, Vickie Guerrero and her daughters will be stationed at ringside during the Rey Mysterio vs. Randy Orton match at No Way Out on 2/19. To say there is a lot of heat on this decision is this week's major understatement.

I don't know whats worse, getting Vicki and the kids involved when this whole deal is about getting Orton over, or the clowns at DVDVR who are telling people to stop complaining about the angle if his wife's okay with it.

Yeah, how dare they come up another way to help the Guerreros by giving them a paying on-air gig in addition to everything else they've done for the family in the last few years.

Jerks!

Better yet, if it was so offensive - why would his wife and kids take part in it?

I find it funny that people find pro wrestling offensive. Especially the WWE.

Yay! We have our own apologist! (and I knew it would be you, too)

How does the "it's just pro wrestling" excuse explain away the children taking part in a worked angle based around the real death of their father? I could almost understand it for Vickie since she's an adult and can make her own choices, but I'd love to here a defense for involving the kids.

C'mon, tell us why we're being to sensitive here.

Guest savagerulz

How does the "it's just pro wrestling" excuse explain away the children taking part in a worked angle based around the real death of their father?

I think they know their dad is dead already.

I could almost understand it for Vickie since she's an adult and can make her own choices, but I'd love to here a defense for involving the kids.

C'mon, tell us why we're being to sensitive here.

This is a generations-old wrestling family! Those kids have been getting smartened up to the business for as long as they've been able to process information about anything.

And like I said, this is the WWE we're talking about. I guess somewhere around the 20th time I saw people getting offended by their actions was when I finally became completely desensitized to it.

The kids are probably smartened in the sense that they knew Daddy and Uncle Oscar weren't really hurting each other when they fought on TV a few months back.

You really think young kids understand why WWE is using their father's death on TV? I guess his oldest might, but you can't expect the younger 2 to fully understand this.

I think they know their dad is dead already.

No Fucking Shit, Sherlock. You think they should have their real pain played out as part of a WWE storyline? It's barely been three months since this happened. I was in my 20s when my dad died and I wasn't even thinking straight 3 months after.

And like I said, this is the WWE we're talking about. I guess somewhere around the 20th time I saw people getting offended by their actions was when I finally became completely desensitized to it.

WWE has never involved kids before. It was tasteless when they had Melanie Pillman on RAW the day after Brian died, but they didn't have her and the kids at any PPVs. They didn't have anyone come out and tell the Hart Foundation that Brian is in hell to get heel heat. There's really nothing they've done before that's in the same ballpark as this.

Guest savagerulz

WWE has never involved kids before. It was tasteless when they had Melanie Pillman on RAW the day after Brian died, but they didn't have her and the kids at any PPVs.

No, you're right... they didn't have the Pillman kids at any PPVs.

And that's where you stop being right completely.

You've never seen "Beyond the Mat?" Or much more importantly, you've never seen the Foley/Rock "I Quit" match? The movie shows Mick carefully explaining what was going to happen to him to his children beforehand... but they still had no qualms of showing the close-up of them crying tears of horror as Rock damn near killed him with the most horrifying series of chair shots in wrestling history.

And again, we're not talking about run of the mill kids. Grandpa's a wrestler, uncles are wrestlers, dad was a wrestler. Don't be surprised if those kids don't already know more about ring psychology than a lot of graduates of WCW's Power Plant ever will.

You've never seen "Beyond the Mat?" Or much more importantly, you've never seen the Foley/Rock "I Quit" match? The movie shows Mick carefully explaining what was going to happen to him to his children beforehand... but they still had no qualms of showing the close-up of them crying tears of horror as Rock damn near killed him with the most horrifying series of chair shots in wrestling history.

Don't know if it's true or not, but some have said that according to inside sources who helped film BTM, the entire thing with Foley was staged, and they asked Colette to react hysterically so the kids would get upset and they would get a "real" reaction. Don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, it's pretty disgusting.

Guest savagerulz

I'd assume that they did. Really would have destroyed the whole emotion of that match if Dewey had been laughing at daddy's hardway crimson mask.

That's my whole point. I'm not saying McMahon should be awarded sainthood for this angle, but Jesus Christ when you look at the list of tasteless and exploitive things the WWF/E has done this barely registers.

Guest savagerulz

I will admit that it never ceases to amaze how much people underestimate the depths of what a sleazeball Vince really is. I laugh and laugh when I think back to those old Observers from the late-90s where Dave was trying to make a point about the WWF's exploitation of women... musing "I wonder if he'd ask Stephanie to get such oversized fake boobs and dress so skimpily." :D

Guest Dangerous A

Actually, Steph never really got as skimpy as the other Divas and only got oversized melons because she was insecure about what a couple fans had said to her.

The Eddie stuff doesn't surprise or shock me. I don't condone it in any way no matter who signs off on it, but it doesn't upset me. The part that does irk me is they had the story of Rey chasing the title and possibly winning it at WM as a great storybook moment and they fucked that booking up once they decided Rey wasn't good enough on his own and they basically are having Rey play Eddie. Rey comes out in Eddie's lowrider. He wears Eddie's shirts. He does Eddie's mannerisms. He does Eddie's frogsplash. Everything about Rey is gone and now he's basically Eddie. Same deal with Orton. Orton didn't acknowledge or cut a promo on Rey last week. He cut a promo on Eddie. Everything Randy was talking about last week was Eddie.

As has been stated a bunch of places, WWE has basically turned Eddie into the most over babyface in the company right now. Fans aren't chanting for Rey to make a comeback in his matches, they chant for Eddie.

The misbooking of Rey's chase is what irritates me. They've taken a potential great WM moment (or just great moment in general if and when Rey wins) and dirtied it up with all this Eddie shit.

Guest MJHimJfadeaway23

Don't know if it's true or not, but some have said that according to inside sources who helped film BTM, the entire thing with Foley was staged, and they asked Colette to react hysterically so the kids would get upset and they would get a "real" reaction. Don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, it's pretty disgusting.
You sure? I could've sworn I read Meltzer state somewhere that Foley and The Rock had a "not-so-friendly" relationship for a lengthy amount of time after RR '99.

They did. Foley was supposed to take three unprotected chairshots and ended up taking 15. But still, with those chairshots, what supposedly happened is that his wife purposely acted hysterical just to get real emotion for the cameras out of his children. Like I said, I have no idea if that's true or not.

I'm not saying I'm shocked or suprised that Vince/WWE would do this angle, I'm just saying that I'm disgusted by it. I know this is something well within the scope of Vince's known sleaziness, I just don't like what they're presenting under the banner of "entertainment". I don't like when kids are involved in wrestling, period. I didn't like it when Sandman's kid was involved, I didn't like it when Domenic was involved in the Rey/Eddie storyline, hell I even thought it was kind of creepy when Steph would model T-shirts in WWF mag as a kid and they'd have her in oversized shirts that made it look like she wasn't wearing pants.

I can't imagine that anybody can actually play off or defend this crap. That just goes to show how de-sensitized WWE fans have become. The arguments "We all know Vince is scum" or "This is wrestling what do you expect" are excusing inexcusable behavior, empowering people like Vince McMahon and validating this kind of so-called "storytelling" (and I use that term in the loosest possible sense of the word.)

There is this idiot over at The Pit who is trying to claim that since we don't know if there is a Heaven or Hell, and even if we did we can't know where Eddie is...that's it's no big deal. People keep missing the point.

A man died. A man who was proud of his spiritual beliefs. That man's death, and his beliefs, are now being used to further a fictious wrestling story. There is NO excuse for that. I question the intelligence of people who are enterained by that type of wrestling. It does not take skill to exploit a tragedy for financial gain. It's wrong, and that's all there is to it. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. To exploit somebody else's personal loss for your own gain is morally wrong.

Look at the actual definition of the word WRONG.

Not required, intended, or wanted.

Not fitting or suitable.

Inappropriate or improper.

Unacceptable or undesirable according to social convention.

Something contrary to ethics or morality

To discredit unjustly; malign.

To treat dishonorably.

To be unfaithful or disloyal.

Is this required? MUST they do this? Do people WANT this?

Is it fitting, considering this situation? Is it suitable?

Is it appropriate or proper?

According to social convention, is it acceptable?

Is it ethical or moral?

Does it discredit what Eddie did, and stood for? Does it malign him?

Is it honorable?

Is it faithful to his memory? Loyal to what he did for the WWE?

No.

It's wrong. That's it, that's all.

That's the thing...who even cares? If Eddie's widow does something disgusting or wrong, does that make Vince's actions any less wrong?

Look at Martha Hart. One could easily say that she and even Bret attempted to capaitalize on Owen's death to further their own agendas (although that is debatable.)

I hate to use a cliche here, but "two wrongs don't make a right."

Rey has already proven that he's not beyond using his family to get over. Hell, Eddie himself used his wife and kids in that angle...which was in terrible taste...and irresponsible as parents...but at least they were all ALIVE.

No matter what anybody does during or after this angle, it can't retroactively excuse it.

I can't even begin to fathom the IWC's reaction when Meltzer or whoever uncovers the reason that Vickie will attend the show.

Storyline or for real? I know Eddy had problems with the IRS which is why he was still wrestling, which might shed light on why she'd be willing to take part in this.

Guest Dangerous A

I can't even begin to fathom the IWC's reaction when Meltzer or whoever uncovers the reason that Vickie will attend the show.

Storyline or for real? I know Eddy had problems with the IRS which is why he was still wrestling, which might shed light on why she'd be willing to take part in this.
As Thread Killer brought up, Vicki and Rey are not above putting family into storylines. I don't buy into any scenario where Vicki is being forced into this. I just think she craves the attention and I'm pretty sure she doesn't mind the payoff.

Guest savagerulz

I'm not saying I'm shocked or suprised that Vince/WWE would do this angle, I'm just saying that I'm disgusted by it. I know this is something well within the scope of Vince's known sleaziness, I just don't like what they're presenting under the banner of "entertainment". I don't like when kids are involved in wrestling, period. I didn't like it when Sandman's kid was involved, I didn't like it when Domenic was involved in the Rey/Eddie storyline, hell I even thought it was kind of creepy when Steph would model T-shirts in WWF mag as a kid and they'd have her in oversized shirts that made it look like she wasn't wearing pants.

Fair enough. I could see all of this. Wrestling started getting into weirdness when it started clearly marketing towards kids. Since the last 90's they've been caught in a flux of trying to decide how to do things...it's one of those hidden "why wrestling is in the shitter" things that doesn't get discussed much.

If you're trying to argue for Rey winning the belt, people, it starts (and ends) with marketing the show to kids. There really is no other good reason.