Pro Wrestling Only

WWE HOF...Who's Next?

sek69

With Bret and Eddie already in, and Dusty probably next since he has a DVD coming out, who do you think will fill out the Class of 2006?

Assuming a class size of 7, my picks:

Bret

Eddie

Dusty

Ricky Steamboat

The Freebirds (with Ray Gordy doing the induction honors)

Mr. Fuji (they always pick someone completely random)

William Perry (he was in the Battle Royal at WM 2 in Chicago, and it would have someone other than Pete Rose in the "Celebrity Wing")

Guest Dangerous A

That's just what I've read and heard from numerous podcasts and such. Not saying it's defintely not going to happen. I don't really care either way since the WWE HOF is a crock anyways.

The WWF HOF is as close to a real HOF wrestling will have (don't get me started about the WON HOF, it's no better than WWE's since Dave's got his MMA boner).

Besides, the only thing people bitch about is them putting Pete Rose in the "Celebrity Wing", which was just a PR move anyway. The rest of the people in there deserve it for the most part. Hell, it's pretty much the only time WWE will pay any attention to its past anyway.

Dusty is one of the bigger names, actually. I'd be surprised if the majority of the fans that have been around for a long time don't know who he is. After Austin/Rock/Hogan/Flair/Andre, he's about on the same level as everyone else like Piper, Savage, Bret, etc. in terms of his star power in the US.

Really Dusty at his peak was a bigger star than either Bret or Eddie were and was a top star for longer, its just that his peak was over 20 years ago and was for the opposition, so his role in wrestling history was forgotten about until he signed with the company again.

Guest Dangerous A

The WWF HOF is as close to a real HOF wrestling will have (don't get me started about the WON HOF, it's no better than WWE's since Dave's got his MMA boner).

Besides, the only thing people bitch about is them putting Pete Rose in the "Celebrity Wing", which was just a PR move anyway. The rest of the people in there deserve it for the most part. Hell, it's pretty much the only time WWE will pay any attention to its past anyway.

The WON HOF has it's own MMA section which is different than the pro wrestling section. While I still have issues with the criteria that WON has for letting people in (Kurt Angle being in this soon is a mystery to me) is questionable, it works best for me. The WON HOF also recognizes wrestlers and wrestling from around the world, not just WWE. I know it's WWE's HOF and they don't have to recognize foreign players, but that right there shows me the WON HOF is more wider in scope and has more prestige to me. Perhaps if WWE were to acknowledge that there was wrestling past NA, I'd tend to give their HOF more legitimacy in my eyes.

Pete Rose isn't the only hangup for me. Guys like Nikolai Volkoff and Cowboy Bob Orton being in just takes the "fame" part of the Hall and tarnishes it a bit. I expect the cream of the crop to be in. While they are getting cream of the crop guys, they are also letting in anyone who will sign their travesty of a legends deal in as well.

Just because it's the only time WWE recognizes it's past doesn't mean they get a cookie from me.

Guest Famous Mortimer

Then Sakuraba is in the pro wrestling section of the WON HOF when he was okay, but certainly not HOF material, as a pro wrestler. Just because you're a pro wrestling sheet writer, doesn't mean your opinion on MMA means jack shit.

Then Sakuraba is in the pro wrestling section of the WON HOF when he was okay, but certainly not HOF material, as a pro wrestler.

He's still a pro wrestler in Meltzer's eyes. :)

Just because you're a pro wrestling sheet writer, doesn't mean your opinion on MMA means jack shit.

It does if you watch all the UFC, Pride and Hero's shows, have contacts within the MMA industry and have written about it ever since the sport started. Just because he's out to lunch on the whole pro wrestling is MMA issue doesn't mean everything he says about MMA is completely worthless.

Guest Dangerous A

I don't really care for Meltz's take on MMA. While BBJ and other forms of fighting have been around for awhile, MMA as it is now is still in it's infancy. I think a MMA HOF is a bit premature if you ask me.

They don't have the backing of the main wrestling company. It's like Canton claiming to be the football HOF if the NFL had its own in-house Hall.

Wrestling (specifically the WWE) and football (or other sports) are entirely different animals. You'll see other sports leagues working together for the sake of a strong Hall (or other things) but you'll never see it in wrestling. Specifically, you'll never see the WWE working with other promotions or anyone else for that matter for this sort of thing.

What if WCW, ECW, the AWA, World Class, etc. were still around, and the WWF/E had their Hall and were the top promotion still? Could you call it a credible Hall, knowing that Vince probably wouldn't work with the other companies for the sake of enriching it?

In other words, I think the PWHF in Latham, NY is the closest we'll get to a fully credible wrestling Hall Of Fame.

I wonder who would induct her. Shawn? DiBiase? One of the current divas?

I actually think Sherri was way better than any of the current divas. Her bumps and antics on the outside are a large part of the reason that Savage had such a hot run from 1989-1991.

On top of that, she was just as much a factor and a part of the aftermatch of Warrior-Savage at WM7 as Savage and Liz were, and many of us look back at that moment as one of WrestleMania's greatest.

Is DiBiase still in the hospital or in a recovery stage? If so, Shawn should be the one inducting her. He can even share the "Sherri stiffing the hell out of his opponents" stories at the ceremony. Although, I wonder if Shawn will even be at the ceremony, if Bret will be there.

Meltz HOF News:

According to Dave Meltzer, Blackjack Lanza & Blackjack Mulligan will be inducted as a tag team into the WWE hall of fame. Bobby Heenan will induct the team. 

As announced last night, "Mean" Gene Okerlund will be inducted by Hulk Hogan.

Tony Atlas is to be inducted by S.D. Jones.

Holy crap, someone remembered SD Jones is still alive!

See, that's the kind of randomness that makes the WWE HOF awesome. Who would ever have thought we'd see SD Jones on TV again?

Guest SweetMama Scaat

Heh. I dont get that. Did they have some sort of connection? Or are they jus both black...or does johnny Ace have a thing for Hawaian shirts?

On the subject of Special Delivery Jones, whatsup with King Kong Bundy? Ive maintained that he and Okerlund shouldve been in for the past couple of years.

Guest Alfdogg

Atlas said in a shoot interview that he wanted SD Jones to be his tag partner when they teamed him with Rocky Johnson. Perhaps they're just good friends and Atlas requested it.