Pro Wrestling Only

Should I or Shouldn't I...

goodhelmet

I have been pondering this for awhile. I have some extra cash and have been seriously considering getting a 6 month subscription. So, for those who have ordered it or are currently getting it, what should I do? I don't really respect Meltzer's star ratings. I know most of the news will get put up on the 411 or Inside Pulse websites. Is there really a reason to get this dirt sheet?

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Even if you don't agree with Meltzer's ratings for stuff, the news and articles you get are more than worth it. While most of the news does get ripped off by certain sites, not all of it does, and it's more than worth it in order to get all the news, rather than just some of it. Not only that, but when Meltzer writes his articles on big stories, or writes obituaries on wrestlers who pass away, nobody does it better, or goes into more detail than Dave, and you come away with a much better understanding of the situation at hand.

I recommend getting the Observer, and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Absolutely. I subscribed for several months, and I still find myself browsing the back issues once in awhile. There is an INSANE amount of information packed into every issue, and as HTQ said, no one does wrestler obituaries better.

It seems like Dave charges an awful lot for the newsletter. $90 doesn't even get you a full year sub. Does he know it's not 1986 and there's other sources for information besides newsletters?

Just seems like an awful lot of money when you consider the best parts end up on the net in some form sooner or later anyway.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

While it may seem costly, you are getting the news first, and you're getting a quality of analysis and writing that you can't find on any wrestling site on the net. True, it's a lot of money, but I don't think going to a website to read an old Observer article can match being able to read it straight from an Observer.

Guest Bruiser Chong

For what it's worth, the back issues I got from 1996 were amazing and a blast to go through. If you'll recall, I posted the highlights from one of them at SNKT last year. Just getting the American news and such typed out took about an hour.

There's just something about how he uses the number of words in each issue as a selling point that makes me wonder if his high prices are worth it.

Speaking of Dave's sales pitches, I always wondered why people in the industry would subscribe to the Observer. Especially now, since WWE is the only game in town. Seems kind of self-serving to read a newsletter full of stories about yourself, wouldn't you think?

There's just something about how he uses the number of words in each issue as a selling point that makes me wonder if his high prices are worth it.

Speaking of Dave's sales pitches, I always wondered why people in the industry would subscribe to the Observer. Especially now, since WWE is the only game in town. Seems kind of self-serving to read a newsletter full of stories about yourself, wouldn't you think?

Dave covers the Indies, Japan, Mexico, and Puerto Rico as well, along with any other wrestling hotbed. So the observer is useful, particularly if they are scouting for new talent, or just trying to keep abreast of any other developments in the wrestling world. If RoH is negotiating a tv deal or what not, Dave has it covered.

Dave also has a perspective that those who are around every day don't always have, because they're too entrenched in the situation to look at it objectively. You know who has always had the rep of being more obsessed with the Observer than anyone? Hulk Hogan.

Well, if you are right, then I should be getting it when I get off work. If I have time today, I'll type up some news and notes that we can discuss.

Cool. Although for what it is worth, my post office is local and since we're a familiar name, stuff gets sorted and processed to us very quickly.

I recieved my first issue of the Observer today (Last week's was supposed to be my first issue along with two bonus classic issues. I still haven't recieved those yet but Meltz said I should have them in the next couple of days). A few comments...

- There is so much information in this thing... but you need a magnifying glass to read it all.

-I will post notes and info but not type it out word for word. If you want specific quotes about a particular subject, let me know.

- I haven't seen any Meltz star ratings so maybe those are in only certain issues?

- I liked the layout of the Torch better when I used to get that but the information here is so much better and more meaningful. No useless comedy pieces or shallow editorial pieces.