Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
gordi

[2000-11-18-FWA] Adam Flash & Danny Rose & Jake Daniels vs Don Montoya & Dino Divine & Mike Quackenbush (War Games)

There were a lot of things I liked about this. Mostly the extremely indy touches: Guys who don't own any actual ring gear, the one heel who actually showed some fire on the stick, goofy announcers tripping over their own tongues, only having three guys per side in a War Games match... I'm not trying to be funny. I like that stuff.

I really liked that they threw each other into the cage and got busted open, and booked it so that the good guys were at a a constant disadvantage.

What put me off, though, was the "Money Mark who is also a Huge Mark For Himself" booking: Quackenbush faces down impossible odds alone against the heels inside the cage, hits the huge high spot, and then, on the verge of death-from-exhaustion, is forced to face down the heel champion for his belt and yet SOMEHOW AMAZINGLY the dude in charge manages to overcome impossible circumstances yet again to triumph. FFS. I can imagine Jeff Jarrett at the peak of his Stone Cold Cosplay Fantasy Booking EgoMania period watching this and going, like "Dude... really???"

It was a bit much, in my opinion.

This seems like it was blast live, but it came off really bad on video. I'm a huge fan of WarGames and had high expectations of this, but this was really bad. I don't mind the minimum details such as the cage not having a roof or it only be three on three. The eliminations felt really rushed once the Match Beyond started. I also don't get them going for eliminations before the Match Beyond began and the commentators saying there couldn't be any eliminations until the Match Beyond began. I thought Quack looked really bad. His kicks looked awful and the commentator continued trying to put them over as the stiffest strikes he's ever seen. His cage dives looked really bad. Namely the first one where Jake Daniels just popped up and no sold it. I guess the earlier periods where Flash and Dino actually used the cage and got a gusher from using it were the highlights, but aside from that, there wasn't really much else to like. Very disappointing.

Some pretty awful “intense” promos to set this up with Daniels calling Montoya a nappy headed scumbag. I have no idea what time FWA tv aired but you see the attitude effect in full force with the cursing that is rampant overall. First sequence of Devine and Flash was your basic War Games start but pretty decent stuff. Flash used the cage well and Devine gets color. Of course the heels gain the advantage so at least FWA didn’t get too cute here. The announcers do allude to this weird stip where after every two minute period, there is a coin toss so conceivably a team could have a 3-1 advantage. Quack is next out though and a house of fire sending Flash into the cage. Quack was my main point of interest just seeing him in this type of match and he did some stuff good but also looked lost and awkward at other points. The Match Beyond portion with the eliminations felt rushed as Montoya was the house of fire powerhouse for the faces and then is just eliminated with a whimper. Montoya then interferes and Quack pins Rose. It is now Daniels vs Quack and Daniels does deliver a nasty looking pyramid bomb to Quack. Instead of trying to win, Daniels decides it time to cut a promo. He makes this a title match. Daniels just straight no sells some of Quacks offense including a dive from the top of the cage which is a head scratcher. Quack takes the punishment and then makes another huge comeback this time getting a double stomp from the top of the cage and winning the title. Daniels is up almost immediately after the bell. Quack dedicates the match to his late grandfather. Some good thoughts but a lot of sludge and a real indie riffic version of War Games. **

Thia was pretty bad. I feel ita kinda hard to screw up a match like wargames but they do it. Between the early pinfall attempts that the announcers bury then ignore and all the no selling between quack and Daniels. Flash and dino try early on but it turns into a mess. Also the announcers keep talking about Dan moreland and he doesnt even show up.