Pro Wrestling Only

Punches: Where'd they go?

sek69

I've been watching a lot of wrestling tonight, and something jumped out at me: When did the forearm shot replace the punch as the basic striking move for 90% of US wrestlers?

I first noticed it in WWE women's matches, and it was fine there since A. They don't want to risk getting accidentally punched in the face and B. Most of them can't throw a convincing working punch to save their lives. When it becomes a staple in men's matches, it looks like the guy throwing the forearms is a pussy who's afraid to punch. It's fine if you throw a forearm to mix things up, but when it's all you do it looks weak IMO.

What really puzzles me is WWE in particular has several guys on the roster who throw some real good looking punches. Hell, I half expect Jerry Lawler to leap over the desk on RAW and start showing these motherfuckers how to throw a punch like you have a pair.

I don't mind. From a psychology/logic standpoint, punches have a lot going against them, compared to forearms/elbows. First of all, punches are illegal. Secondly, it'd be quite easy to injure your hand punching with bare-knuckles. Thirdly, forearms/elbows inflict more damage than punches. Seems like using forearms makes more sense in kayfabe land. Plus, another reason to get rid of punches in US wrestling is that they remind me of all those horribly overrated, mind-numbing 2001 Austin matches where 90% of the match was made up of horribly thrown punches. And that annoys me greatly :D

What you said makes sense, but the internal logic of wrestling makes it look weird when you're in a blood feud with someone and you're hitting them with forearms rather than punching them in the face. I guess it comes from growing up a fan of the NWA where guys like Dusty and the Horsemen weren't concerned about the risks of potential hand injuries as the result of punching.

You're 1000000000000% right that Steve Austin lightly caressing his oppponent's face after the Thesz Press was some of the most embarrassing shit ever. He'd pull his punches a good 2 or 3 inches too soon.

That's true (about punches and blood feuds). I guess the whole punches in wrestling thing is just a matter of tradition. In US wrestling, punches were used quite frequently, and were pretty much sold like a dime a dozen. In Japan, punches are used sparingly, and are given respect when used (they're sold a lot more). I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the punch used less frequently in US wrestling (as I guess has been happening), in order to make them seem somewhat more important. Then they could be sold better, used to better effect in heated feuds, used as a method of cheating for heels and whatever else.

What really puzzles me is WWE in particular has several guys on the roster who throw some real good looking punches. Hell, I half expect Jerry Lawler to leap over the desk on RAW and start showing these motherfuckers how to throw a punch like you have a pair.

I think the key reason for the disappearance of punches is while there are some who can throw good ones, there are those who throw some really awful ones (RVD and Lita come to my mind immediately). These days, appearance of moves is a pretty big deal (for better or worse) and with the WWE's insistance that everyone work at least a similar style, that's one reason where you see punches going away.

MisawaGQ made some great points about punches and the psychology of them too, although I'm not sure if the WWE had that in mind when taking them out of the equation.

Since only a few guys in WWE these days really know how to throw one properly anymore, I don't mind that they're phasing it out. I do miss stuff like Taped Fist matches and Bunkhouse matches that attempted to recreate the whole barroom brawl atmosphere, but you won't see that in WWE. Vince has always seemed ashamed that pro wrestling is primarily a redneck attraction, while that self-conscious disposition never infected a lot of other American companies in the past, and if anything, they embraced the fact that they were putting together a show designed to appeal to white trash, drunk rednecks.

Guest CanadianChick

Funny you mention RVD Marty, because I think he's someone who has awful looking forearms and would benefit from punching more.

Forearms are also a lot easier to learn and you can make them look better by just laying them in and not being afraid to kill your opponent.

I agree as well, RVD has both bad punches and bad forearms. WWE would be better off having them punch.

Is there a possibility that punches cause more injuries than forearms?

Guest Spaceman Spiff

Hopefully Palumbo gets back on TV/Heat soon, because he has some great looking punches.

And I love Benoit, Noble, and Eddie, but those 3 have/had some crappy looking forearms. They throw the same sort of hybrid punch/forearm/elbow strike that looks like it barely makes contact.

For the most part, the best talent in WWE works as road agents. You'd think every match would be great with people like that putting them together. And there was a rumor not long ago that Dusty was pushing for them to hire Barry Windham as well.

Guest Local Jobber R

Matt Hardy has the best punch of anyone active on either show currently, and to my knowledge, he's never caused anyone an injury. RVD, on the other hand, is pretty well-documented in that area.

I always thought the injuries that RVD caused were the results of his kicks.