Pro Wrestling Only

History of FMW Podcast

BAHU

History of FMW Volume 26 is up where we go over the second half of 2001. Hayabusa suffers a career ending paralyzing injury in his match with Mammoth Sasaki. We go over everything that lead to the day as well as all the aftermath following the injury including Hayabusa nearly dying while in the hospital. FMW finishes up their feud with TokyoPop trying to buy the company from them as well as feuding with Tenryu's WAR group. Atsushi Onita begins his feud with Shinya Hashimoto and becomes a senator and travels to Afghanistan.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been slowly but surely working my way through this series.  I am currently up to Volume 13.  I am very interested in Volume 26, because it covers Hayabusa's injury - but I don't want to skip ahead that far.  I'm on vacation for a week and have some free time, so I'll probably catch up pretty soon.  Once again, I highly recommend this podcast.  Watching it on YouTube with the visual component is very entertaining and compelling, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!

History of FMW Volume 27 is up as we go over the first half of 2002 and the end of FMW. Shoichi Arai  dealing with loan sharks that eventually leads to FMW going bankrupt as a result and eventually ends his life. Kodo Fuyuki starts up a new promotion in the wake of FMW closing and finds out he has cancer.  Arai contacting Hayabusa right before his death. This is the most newsworthy period and as a result the biggest episode.

On 20 novembre 2018 at 3:45 AM, BAHU said:

Thank you!

History of FMW Volume 27 is up as we go over the first half of 2002 and the end of FMW. Shoichi Arai  dealing with loan sharks that eventually leads to FMW going bankrupt as a result and eventually ends his life. Kodo Fuyuki starts up a new promotion in the wake of FMW closing and finds out he has cancer.  Arai contacting Hayabusa right before his death. This is the most newsworthy period and as a result the biggest episode.

It was such a depressing time following the news around FMW back then. You're doing a terrific job with this project BTW.

• 3 weeks later...

History of FMW Volume 28 going over the second half of 2002 is up. We go over Hayabusa making his first public appearance since his injury. Mr. Gannosuke creates WMF. Kodo Fuyuki continues his Entertainment Pro-Wrestling booking with WEW and starts up his feud with ZERO1 and Shinya Hashimoto. Atsushi Onita wrestles in Afghanistan and much more.

• 3 weeks later...

I am up to 1999 right now and man FMW is really like the Japanese version of WCW with the massive over spending, goofy gimmicks with no real story based on it, the use of women in trashy ways, and the Russo like booking of Fuyuki.  Although Russo would have never lost to Masato Tanaka at the biggest show of the year so I give some credit.  Also in 1999-2001 it is hard to find a damn good WCW match and FMW still has a good amount of those. 

The difference between 1995 and 1999 is kind of stunning.  

The difference between 1997 and 1999 are stunning!

Fuyuki had the mindset of WWF is really popular right now because of Sports Entertainment and he was a fan of that style. Here's a style that is making a lot of money in America that he is a fan of so there's untapped money in it. Problem was like Russo in WCW most of it was bad because they did not know how to do it well. But like you said FMW still had an emphasis on the wrestling which Russo didn't care for there were still a bunch of really good to great matches in FMW from 99 to 2001.

I loved the part in Episode 18 (I think) when Bahu and Steven were discussing Hayabusa's time in All Japan.  Steven asked Bahu how Hayabusa got along with the wrestlers in AJPW, if there was any tension in the locker room because of competition between FMW and AJPW, or because FMW was seen as "garbage wrestling." 

Bahu said no...Hayabusa and Misawa were actually drinking buddies, and Hayabusa got along with everybody except for Kawada, which was fine...because nobody got along with Kawada. :lol:

History of FMW Volume 29 is up going over the first half of 2003 with clips and pictures. We go over Kodo Fuyuki passing away before he could have the match he wanted against Shinya Hashimoto. Kintaro Kanemura takes his place in a No Ropes Exploding Barbed wire Death Match and Fuyuki's urn is inserted into the match in a memorable scene. Mr. Gannosuke's WMF continues to struggle as their Korakuen Hall number goes down and Atsushi Onita begins working for Riki Choshu's World Japan as well as much more.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:49 PM, BAHU said:

History of FMW Volume 29 is up going over the first half of 2003 with clips and pictures. We go over Kodo Fuyuki passing away before he could have the match he wanted against Shinya Hashimoto. Kintaro Kanemura takes his place in a No Ropes Exploding Barbed wire Death Match and Fuyuki's urn is inserted into the match in a memorable scene. Mr. Gannosuke's WMF continues to struggle as their Korakuen Hall number goes down and Atsushi Onita begins working for Riki Choshu's World Japan as well as much more.

I know I've said it before Bahu but I love this podcast and all the work you put into it including adding the video clips because that must take some time and effort. Thank you so much for all the hard work.

I appreciate every word though every time! Putting the videos take multiple days. A good day that takes countless hours I will get about 30 minutes completed on the video. Sometimes those pictures that just cover 17 seconds will take me an hour to find in a magazine. This obviously is never going to be super popular like some other retrospective podcast just because of the topic but I try my best to make these as good as I possibly can make them for everyone so any bit of feedback or anything said about them is always welcomed by me. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

History of FMW Volume 30 is up going the second half of 2003 with clips and pictures. We go over WMF and WEW working together and forming the Apache Army who immediately go to war with ZERO1 in a series of awesome matches that brings back some of the passionate FMW fans. Atsushi Onita goes up against The Great Sasuke in a Exploding Barbed wire Death Match with a series of spectacular explosion spots as well as cover some smaller indies like WWS and 666 and much more.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I am glad that there was a warning on the Hayabusa injury because I saw it once and I never need to see it again.  Although I actually found the part when they showed all of his previous moves a pretty upsetting because even though he never got hurt in those moves they were just as dangerous.  A number of times the only thing that saved him from having a similar injury was him landing on someone's stomach or chest 

The 2002 part 1 show is so informative on the end of FMW.   I don't know how anyone could remember the loan shark stories without having to do many many takes.

It only took one take as I had it memorized in my head like a movie with some key notes written down the night before in case I did forget something. I was nervous about properly explaining it like how I was seeing it in my head though. The hardest thing was putting clips to all of that as it took me three days, and I went to bed the first two nights with a headache from pretty much having clips of a Yakuza documentary and trying to turn it into the closest thing I could as to what happened with the footage as well as spending countless hours trying to find more suitable footage that I just never could find.  

On 2/11/2019 at 1:07 AM, BAHU said:

It only took one take as I had it memorized in my head like a movie with some key notes written down the night before in case I did forget something. I was nervous about properly explaining it like how I was seeing it in my head though. The hardest thing was putting clips to all of that as it took me three days, and I went to bed the first two nights with a headache from pretty much having clips of a Yakuza documentary and trying to turn it into the closest thing I could as to what happened with the footage as well as spending countless hours trying to find more suitable footage that I just never could find.  

I know I've said this previously, but thank you again BAHU for all the work you put into these. I enjoy watching and learning all this FMW history and it's such a wonderful escape from all the bs of day to day life.

I found your site back in the mid 2000's and was amazed to learn more about FMW after all I'd ever saw previously was the Backyard Dogs movie from my local Video Rental Place and a couple clips online of Hayabusa and exploding rings. I would spend hours at my desk job(one of the few sites that flew under the site restrictions of our company Internet) reading the bios you wrote over and over and just amazed at how much there was to learn about FMW. 

To have this series all these years later make me relive and enjoy some of my favorite years of discovery as a fan. 

Hey thank you again! I really appreciate every nice word as they help a lot make sure it's worth with how much time is spent on all this especially the videos. The upcoming episodes should be interesting as a lot of stuff in the mid 2000's isn't well known as even the 90's stuff.

History of FMW Volume 31 covering 2004 with pictures and clips. WMF continues to struggles and has be to turned into a smaller indie promotion. Kanemura and Gannosuke end up splitting up after the Fuyuki Army Promotion would close after the final May 5th Kawasaki Stadium show with Kanemura having to create the Apache Army promotion. We go over a sad update on Hayabusa and Chocoball Mukai getting arrested as well as much more. 

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like Bahu's YouTube channel is gone.  He posted on Twitter this afternoon:

"Someone from Japan reported every video I have on my site including unlisted videos and non Samurai TV footage (my Hayabusa singing video that I took myself got reported) so my YouTube site is gone."

I'd like to find out who did that to him and punch them right in the groin.  As I've said repeatedly, this podcast is excellent but the YouTube version with all the video and pictures is really captivating stuff. I know how much work he puts into every episode.

He said that he should have a new channel up later this week but it might have to be invitation only, so this doesn't happen again.  Which sucks, because when you work as hard as he does on a show like this, it's a crime to have to hide it from the public.  I just hope the channel goes back up okay.

• 2 weeks later...

History of FMW Volume 32 is up going over the year 2005. I go over how Kintaro Kanemura and the Apache Army feud with one another after Riki Choshu is made leader of the group. WMF continues to decline as their sponsor pulls out for good while Mr. Gannosuke and Mammoth Sasaki have two brutal matches with one another to end their feud. I cover the STOP THE MATSUNAGA angle that went on through out the second half of 2005 in ZERO1 as well going over small Mr. Pogo WWS, Tarzan Goto, and 666 shows as well as much more.

Also, all the links in this thread should now work so if you want to go back and watch any past video in this thread you should have no issue.

• 4 weeks later...

History of FMW Volume 33 is up going over the year of 2006 with clips and pictures. The Apache Army goes to war with New Japan for the entire year first with Jushin Liger, Jado, and Gedo and then against Togi Makabe. Mr. Gannosuke tries to push the younger wrestlers in WMF while feuding with Poison Sawada in Union Pro. Mr. Pogo and Tarzan Goto reunite their rivalry with some interesting stipulation matches. Hayabusa visits America and goes backstage at a WWE show, Matsunaga returns to ZERO1 and much more. This episode is a good look at the whole landscape of the Japanese independent scene in 2006. If you have not watched these yet and have the littlest bit of interest in this topic you should check these out. I really put a lot of time and passion into these to make them as good as possible and I have gotten very positive feedback from those that have watched them.

• 4 weeks later...

History of FMW Volume 34 is up going over the year of 2007 with clips and pictures. The feud between Kanemura and Togi Makabe concludes after a year over the WEW Title. Mammoth Sasaki begins to get pushed as the top guy in the Apache Army while Yuko Miyamoto begins to burst on the scene with his match of the year against Takashi Sasaki in Big Japan. 666 holds one of their craziest shows ever while WMF begins to push the Kitten Kid as a focal point in their storylines. Also, Onita announces he is not going to run again for the Japanese Diet after it comes out he is involved in a sex scandal as well as Mike Awesome would end up passing away.

Please give these a chance if you have not already! A lot of time and passion has gone into these and there's a lot of stuff in here that is not common knowledge. It's no Eric Bischoff discussing stuff you've already heard about million times over the last 20 years except now wrong, but what is?