Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hidden Gems

NickH

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, vikingsfan73 said:

Not Johnny, but the preview video at https://www.wwe.com/videos/12-days-of-wwe-hidden-gems-exclusively-on-wwe-network shows matches with Road Warriors vs. Ivan & Kruschev, Tully vs. Magnum, and Flair vs. Dusty. Those matches were all on the 12.29.85 Meadowlands show.  

It also looks like the Midnight Rockers competing in a cage against Somers and Rose, which took place on 12.25.86 in St. Paul, and Rockers vs. OMX from 12.25.87 in St. Paul.  I think I've seen the cage match before, but I'm not sure if the 1987 match is new.  

The 1987 match is new as far as I can remember. the title change occurred in haste at the Vegas show which was a couple of nights later. The cage match and the whole Brawl in St. Paul show from 1986 Christmas have appeared on either 24/7 or the Network before.

Somehow, the Hidden Gems today combines two different AWA Christmas shows.  From 12/25/82 St Paul, we get 

Baron Von Raschke vs Jacques Goulet

Ken Patera vs Steve Olsonoski

Rick Martel vs Bobby Heenan.                                                                      

And then they combined it with Bockwinkel vs Robinson, and Hulk Hogan & Tito Santana vs Bobby Duncum & Ken Patera from the 12/25/81 show.     I believe everything but Bockwinkel is new to us.

Now...my question for Khawk....how do we know for sure if the High Flyers match from the other day is actually 1981 or 1982???

Curt Hennig refereed the 1982 bout that is already available on video. I doubt he reffed the 1981 bout as well, so that is likely the tell for which year we are looking at.

You are likely correct about only Bock vs. Billy being available before now although the Raschke-Goulet match may be the exception. There are a couple of their bouts out there and if they were dated wrong it could already have been released. But I would guess it too is likely new.

Tuesday 12 /18 gives us a match we have all seen and has been available on youtube for at least 10 years.... From New Orleans.    12/25/1983 – Mid-South Christmas Night 1983 [Duration: 00:36:03]
Butch Reed and Jim ‘The Anvil’ Neidhart put the Mid-South Tag Titles on the line against Magnum T.A. and Mr. Wrestling II in a steel cage.

Wednesday 12/19/18.       

12/25/1983 – AWA Christmas Night 1983 [Duration: 01:01:45]

The AWA Heavyweight Title is up for grabs when WWE Hall of Famers Nick Bockwinkel and Mad Dog Vachon go to war on Christmas Night 1983.

As stated above they will only show one hour of the card which features the following:

Buck Zumhofe versus Bill White

Billy Robinson versus  Brad Rheingans 

Rick Martel versus  Superstar Billy Graham

Steve Olsonoski versus Jesse Ventura

Greg Gagne & Baron Von Raschke & Ray Stevens & Jim Brunzell versus  Ken Patera & Jerry Blackwell & Mr. Saito & Sheik Adnan

Mad Dog Vachon vs Nick Bockwinkel for the AWA Championship 

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, khawk20 said:

Curt Hennig refereed the 1982 bout that is already available on video. I doubt he reffed the 1981 bout as well, so that is likely the tell for which year we are looking at.

You are likely correct about only Bock vs. Billy being available before now although the Raschke-Goulet match may be the exception. There are a couple of their bouts out there and if they were dated wrong it could already have been released. But I would guess it too is likely new.

Hennig wrestled Evan Johnson on the 12/25/81 card. 

Thursday 12/20....more AWA!!!  AWA 12/25/1984 – AWA Christmas Night 1984 [Duration: 01:44:01]
All of your favorite AWA Superstars including Curt Hennig, Nick Bockwinkel, and Bruiser Brody are featured on this Christmas spectacular       ... 

Below is the card for the event that took place that night:

• Billy Robinson vs. Steve Olsonoski
  • Steve Regal vs. Baron Von Raschke
  • Mr. Saito vs. Jim Brunzell
  • Curt Hennig vs. Nick Bockwinkel
  • Jerry Blackwell and Greg Gagne vs. Bruiser Brody and The Masked Superstar
  • Road Warriors vs. The Fabulous Ones
  • Rick Martel vs. Jimmy Garvin

1.) I'm fairly certain I haven't seen any of those.

2.) I'm fairly certain none were on the AWA 80s set. There's 8 minutes of the Roadies tag online, I think.

3.) I badly, badly want to see a Hennig vs Bock match we haven't seen before. 

4.) A lot of the rest of the card sounds fun too.

83 AWA is up.

Looks like 14 out of 20 mins or so of Robinson vs Brad.

8:30 or so (of 14 maybe?) of Ventura vs Steve O. 

Maybe 8 minutes of Martel vs Graham.

A Blackjack Lanza interview in the ring.

About 10 mins of the 8 man tag.

annnnnd

the entirety of the Mad Dog vs Bock match where we only had about 6 mins before (14 mins with introductions and conclusion)? 

LOL at making ECW fans wait through days of AWA uploads to get to their show.

Loving Ken Patera doing 2.9 wrestling in the mid card in 1982 on that year's AWA Christmas show but it's okay because "they knew how to work then".

I am really hoping that this ends up becoming a trend with the Hidden Gems uploads in that any time they have old arena footage that they just post everything they have on tape from that night. Was a neat little surprise firing up that first AWA upload and finding they tossed up undercard matches too, even if the camera wasnt turned on until a few minutes into the match.

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

Bock vs Hennig is tremendous, especially the post-match but the whole thing.

Talking with Matt D this match really enhances their whole feud, and really is a lynchpin for everything that happens. This sets up Hennig as a title contender, and another reason he turns heel in 2 years.  It's even more grand than the Steamboat vs Savage match from Toronto from 2/87 that enhaced that feud and wiped away the talking point that Mania 3 should have been a bloody fight.