Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-06-29-CMLL] King Phoenix vs El Barbaro Cavernario

nivvad

Some are calling this one of the best Lucha matches of all time, and while I wouldn’t go that far, I’d at least say it’s one of the best of the year. Fenix is Fenix of course (or King Phoenix as he’s going by in CMLL), so there wasn’t any surprise that his performance would be amazing. Cavernario really brought it here too with his own brawling style, but still managed to pull out some cool dives as well. Fantastic chemistry all around that led to this match stealing the entire weekend, ****1/2.

Really fun match and proof that Fenix is one of many shots to the arm CMLL has needed (the others being L.A. Park and Penta). While so many other high-fliers in CMLL just seem to go through the motions, Fenix brings a much-needed sense of urgency and willingness to go all-out. Cavernario is another wrestler who feels less "samey" than so many other luchadores and what we got was an entertaining, back-and-forth match. Tons of big spots like Cavernario's splash to the outside and Fenix's cutter on the stage made this a must-watch bout.

Great singles debut for Fenix and a reminder that Cavernario is one of the best wrestlers in the world despite his lack of a sustained push. ****1/4.

Are people really calling this one of the best lucha matches ever?? That seems... crazy.

BUT, this match was really great. This was all action. There were tons of crazy things here, like the splash to the outside, which maybe somehow looked even crazier than normal (and was during the FIRST FALL), the stomp off the stage, the Cavernario dive where he jumped through the ropes and turned his body compleyly around, and the HUGE Fenix springboard.. I could keeo going. Cavernario showed a bit of an edge, too. Fenix has shined since he's debuted and looked like a superstar here. A different match than the Rush vs. Park match from the week before, but right up there with it for best lucha match so far this year.

****1/2

I really enjoyed this. It was a really cool combination of traditional lucha structure, bombfest, and brawling.  The first fall was great with Cavernario  swinging Fenix into the rail and then hitting that stupid looking splash to floor.  Fenix's comeback was really pretty well done in the second fall and they extended it just a tad from what they really had to, which was nice.  The third fall was good and of course it was the meat and potatoes here.  They busted out some crazy offense in this. I loved Cavernario's barrel roll to the outside.  Fenix hit what felt like 100 spin kicks and cutters. They threw in a little mask rip at the end. I am really not sure if it was intentional, but Cavernario pushing Fenix back into the corner as he lost his balance might have been the coolest moment of the match. It looked very organic and natural.  Really great stuff on the whole.  ****1/4 - 1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2018-06-29-CMLL] King Phoenix vs El Barbaro Cavernario