Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-07-28-NJPW-G1 Climax 28] Tomohiro Ishii vs Kota Ibushi

nivvad

Another absurdly insane classic from Ibushi and Ishii. These guys have had some crazy matches before, but this particular G1 match was just out of this world insane. Ibushi was just on another plane of madness as he brought the intensity and violence to Ishii making the latter's offense look like childs play at points. Lots of tropey stuff too like no selling moves and spamming suplexes, but it was all fun. Easily one of the best matches of the tournament, ****3/4.

The throat murder was great with Ibushi punching towards there and Ishii chopping there to act as transitions. Otherwise, this is a pretty straightforward Ishiii match with all the strikes, no selling, and goodness that comes with it. Probably a trial by fire for Ibushi if he does go onto the finals as I suspect he will. 

My GAWWWD! This is outrageous fun, just high end violence and offense through and through. From the quick counters at beginning, to the strike exchanges, to the lawn dart, to head kicks from ibushi, to the throat chops from Ishii, to the excellent near falls.... this was just a blast. I was probably able to enjoy this because I haven't watched much of the tournament, but I will say this. This is my favorite sort of Ishii match, a match that kind pops up out of nowhere and feels somewhat organic in terms of the intensity and the dynamic. Ishii is awesome, there feels like there is a difference between Ishii going out and doing Ishii stuff (which is great) and Ishii bringing a somewhat unique match out of an opponent (which is special). Its why I liked his first match with Keith Lee (which felt organic) so much more than his second (felt forced). This felt organic and like we got something a little bit special from Ibushi that only Ishii could get from him.

****1/4 easy.

Well holy crap this was something. The no-selling on some of the suplexes was a bit ridiculous, but props to these guys for making it more believable than anyone else in the world could. It's a credit to Tomohiro Ishii's ability to make you think he really is the toughest motherfucker around and that Ibushi has some sort of magic deep down inside him. Some wonderfully outrageous spots and absolutely sick striking exchanges (goddamn throat punches!) make this easily one of the standout matches of the tournament.

****1/2.