Pro Wrestling Only

Can a little Lucha Libre get me excited about wrestling again?

Loss

In the hopes of actually getting excited about watching wrestling again, I popped in a little 1994 AAA. I think it did the trick.

Fuerza Guerrera, Psicosis & Fobia v Rey Misterio Jr, Heavy Metal & Puma

This match is all about roles. I like this for a lot of reasons, but the role playing of everyone involved is probably the main reason I like this so much. Fuerza is all schtick here, but he's so great at it, and he's capable of keeping up with anyone. I've heard Mexican Arn Anderson being thrown on him as a label in the past, but I really think Mexican Dick Murdoch is more applicable. One of my favorite things about Murdoch has always been the ability to create interest in really standard spots. Something simple that is often a pretty basic or pedestrian in a wrestling match ends up getting a comic twist added and becomes a highlight of the match. There's lots of that going on with Fuerza. He's definitely the most charismatic member of his team for starters, and Psicosis and Fobia play the match up like they're wrestling for his acceptance, but he's a bit of a bumbling idiot himself, so you can imagine what happens from there.

Again, this match is all about roles. Fuerza is in the ring for a pretty considerable amount of time, but he doesn't really take any major bumps. Psicosis is the bump machine for the team and his teammates don't really step on his toes. You see this a lot with the technicos too. Rey will be on the apron for long stretches at a time, and then he's tagged in and gets major heat for doing a big highspot because no one else is really flying all that much. If Psicosis is the superstar bumper for the rudos, then Rey is the superstar flyer for the technicos. I'm really only mentioning those three because everyone else just follows their lead and they are by far the best workers in this match.

Nice slow pacing that builds to two hot finishes with the rudos winning two straight. It's a strange bit of booking that works, because this match puts out tons of effort to protect Rey and his aura, but his team loses two straight falls. This match also goes to great lengths to get the rudos over as major stooges, but they still get results. Obviously, many combinations of wrestlers in this match would have many more matches in the months to come so they didn't give it all away, but this is a really strong TV match that I think provides plenty of good examples of how to get the big picture over in a way where the results aren't quite the only thing that matter. If there's a downfall, it could be that the winners don't get quite as much glory as they should, but the idea was that they were lucky, and they communicated that very well.

Octagon, El Hijo del Santo & Latin Lover v Blue Panther, Jerry Estrada & La Parka

I have no idea what to think of this match. Lots of awkward standing around and stupid shit mixed in with great wrestling. I liked this more for Jerry Estrada's psychotic behavior than I did the match itself. You see some pretty great exchanges between Santo and Panther at times, but it's a bit of an afterthought because Estrada is running around maniacally at ringside, attacking his teammates, refusing to start the match and doing other things that seem to have him in his own universe away from everything else going on. Who knows? Enjoyable for weird reasons, but hardly anything good.

More to come ...

Loss - do you have any dates for this stuff? Or is this off the Barnett set where, for whatever reason, he chose not to take the dates off Roland's list and put them up on the web for his own tape lists?

John

This is from the second half of Barnett's AAA Vol. 14. Unfortunately, Bob does not have dates listed on his website for these matches. I'd like to track them down myself.

This is from the second half of Barnett's AAA Vol. 14. Unfortunately, Bob does not have dates listed on his website for these matches. I'd like to track them down myself.

Exactly.

I need to scan in Roland's match lists with notes on those tapes. There's too much in there for me to type them all up, but I can make the PDF available to Bob and on tOA for people wanting it. I *think* I'm missing a 2-3 of the lists... probably misplaced them. Hoback may have copies of those.

Add to my list of things. They are sort of important because many of the matches repeat at some point.

John