Pro Wrestling Only

The Heartbreakers?

goodhelmet

From the Observer

--Regarding the Heartbreakers, they are scheduled to start full-time on the road shortly. In OVW, they had the best ring entrance in wrestling. It's a Billy & Chuck deal, but taken to the extreme, and so comedic that it's not even offensive. They were supposed to be heels and fans turned them faces within weeks. There were fans who started to dress like them and do their goofy dance (which will get over huge with TV exposure). However, when the bell sounds, they are far from ready. They have improved a good deal of late, but even 2-3 weeks ago had a TV match that was real bad by OVW standards, and those standards are tons lower than WWE standards. They are still green in the ring even though both have been around the Northeast indies for years. John "Romeo" Roselli worked for a while in the live events department with WWE, and left the job to go go OVW, without a contract, because his goal was to be a wrestler, not work in the office. When in with the best OVW workers, they are more than passable, and there, people overlooked the wrestling completely because the act was so over. They'd have been better off (like with 99% of the people in OVW who show potential or have good physiques, as opposed to those who are simply good wrestlers) with a little more time in OVW, but if they are even slightly below average in the ring, their act and charisma will make them stars. If they don't become stars, it'll be because they were brought up early, people focused on their wrestling, and they got tainted with a bad label from the start they couldn't overcome.

--Late word: The Heartbreakers are expected at this point to undergo a name change due to Shawn Michaels.

I have never heard of them. Can anyone shed some more light on these guys?

I can't find any explanation of them myself. I'm scouring the other boards and they're being talked about like everyone knows who they are. All seem to agree that they're pretty horrible in the ring, but that the gimmick is so great that they won't need to be good in the ring to get over.

MNM is getting a lot of attention too, and will probably go to Smackdown. Rey Misterio apparently pushed for them to go to SD because he's seen them in OVW and wants to work with them. The more real tag teams OVW can create, the better.

They're a team that's supposed to have a gay gimmick, but they did it so over the top that southern wrestling fans turned them face. It seems like a lot of people inside WWE are marks for Romeo Roselli since he's gone above the call of duty to show his commitment to the business.

Having said that, I fully expect WWE to botch this horribly, since Vince has predetermined ideas of what homosexual gimmicks should be. Not to mention once again messing with an up an coming talent's gimmick so as not to offend an old fossil.

Meltzer has raved about them for some time now on WOL. I'm pretty sure the MNM gimmick is one of metrosexual rich kids, and they're obvious heels, and I know Johnny Nitro is one of the team members, but I'm not sure who the other one is. One of the best new tag teams to come around in ages according to most who've seen them, and like I said, Rey has been pushing for them to come to SD so he can do a program with them. As for the Heartbreakers, one of the team members is this huge black dude who supposedly paralells Rock in natural charisma. His age is a concern (mid 30s), but I don't see that as being too old really, considering how long guys like Flair and Hogan are going now.

I just started a thread at SC asking for details on both teams. I just know I've seen them namedropped repeatedly for some time now. I checked the OVW site to try to find some type of explanation, but came up with nothing.

What I know at this point:

MNM stands for Melina (diva/manager), Nitro (Johnny Nitro), Matthews (Joey Matthews). They wear huge fur coats and brag about being part of the in culture in Hollywood on a regular basis. They're also workers in much the same style as 3 Count, so they definitely have potential.

SD!! Spoilers........

Don't go forward........

Do not pass go...........

According to Meltz's spoilers...

MNM won the tag titles from Guerrero & Mysterio. Melina was kissing Eddie, so Rey was double-teamed with the snapshot and pinned. Eddie shoved Rey and spit on him and left. Rey caught up to him in the aisle and shoved him to the ground.

Looks like i'll be seeing more of these guys

also from Meltzer:

*SPOILER WARNING* (mod edit -- sorry Strummer, just wanted to warn everyone in advance)

MNM will be beating Eddie Guerrero & Rey Mysterio for the tag titles at Smackdown prior to Raw. The focus will be on making Melina a star, and not on the other two, who will be background for her.

Not suprising, Nitro and Matthews are both small, Vince doesn't think they can get over on their own, and thus Melina gets the big push.

Guest Paranoid Nudnik

Well, to be fair, Joey Mercury is so odd looking I highly doubt his ability to get over on his own to begin with...

And also, The Heartthrobs were easily the best thing on Raw. And that includes the Vince and Christian segment.