Pro Wrestling Only

Your Match of the Year for 2006

Guest HTQ

For me, it was the Dragon's Gate six-man at Supercard of Honor, closely followed by Danielson vs. McGuinness at Unified. I watched some decent WWE stuff but nothing really came close to MOTY level.

I'm probably going to go with Takeshi Morishima & Takeshi Rikio vs. KENTA & Naomichi Marufuji in NOAH from the Budokan on 07/16/06.

However, I need to qualify that by saying that I am in the middle of watching ROH's Glory By Honor V Night II from 9/16/06, and I understand from popular opinion that the last two matches from that show might make me change my mind. KENTA vs. Danielson is getting a lot of buzz.

I also have yet to see the Danielson vs. McGuiness title vs. title unification match from 08/12/06, or the Do Fixer vs. Blood Generation match from Supercard of Honor on 03/31/06. I intend to see those events, and they may change my vote as well.

Also, I saw NO WWE shows during 2006, so if they had a MOTYC, I wouldn't know. Picking at MOTY is always hard when you haven't seen every big event. I saw pretty much every NOAH and SEM show this past year, but I am way behind in my ROH viewing.

Guest DylanWaco

I think there are actually alot of reasonable candidates this year. Nigel/Danielson Unified is fucking awesome. Joe/Danielson from July was incredible and honestly I liked the last fifteen minutes of that better than anything else, including the Unified match and that has an incredible ending in its own right. Taue/Marufuji is an awesome rising star v. aging legend match, that also works on the big bruiser v. little flippy guy level. The aforementioned Rikio/Morishima v. KENTAFuji match is also pretty fucking great, with Morishima and KENTA being absolutely off the charts in particular.

Still all this said, I pick Cage Of Death. It was essentially an old school style storyline, mixed with a new school style of work and "concept" gimmick match. This match combined insane spots, awesome drama, great intermatch and extramatch psych, some great heat segments, great comeback spots, and an awesome ending. Plus Homicides enterance and the look he shoots JJ as the crowd is going batshit is better than anything else that has happened in wrestling since the awesome Eddie Guerrero promo addressing Rey's mask last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Taue vs Marufuji, Joe vs Daniels, Akiyama vs Taue, Danielson vs Storm, Kobashi vs Marufuji, and Misawa vs Morishima were my favorites, but KENTA/Marufuji vs Morishima/Rikio (NOAH 7/16) is my pick. I thought it worked very well as coming out party/showcase-type match for what will be the future of NOAH, and it gets extra points from me for that.

Guest DylanWaco

Taue vs Marufuji, Joe vs Daniels, Akiyama vs Taue, Danielson vs Storm, Kobashi vs Marufuji, and Misawa vs Morishima were my favorites, but KENTA/Marufuji vs Morishima/Rikio (NOAH 7/16) is my pick. I thought it worked very well as coming out party/showcase-type match for what will be the future of NOAH, and it gets extra points from me for that.

Man, that Joe/Daniels match is remarkably good. I didn't remember thinking it was that special the first go around, but on second viewing it was a run away Best match in TNA for the year, and a very good candidate for match of the year. Daniels as bloody victim desperate for the comeback against the monster Joe desperate to get his title back worked alot better than I would ahve thought.