Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 08/27 - 09/02 *insert topical subject here*

KawadaSmile

15 hours ago, Charles (Loss) said:

Also, in terms of crowd reaction it's amazing how Becky Lynch is suddenly the hottest performer in the company. I think WWE underestimated before she turned just how much people have always been into her. I think there's an earnestness to what she says and does that makes her really easy to like. She is the one that always gets everything over. She's not doing anything to generate this response, but I'm happy for her that she's getting it. I just have a feeling that they've learned all the wrong things from Roman Reigns and will as a result double down on Charlotte as a babyface, taking that she's getting booed to be a sign that it's working. The world is upside down.

A large part of me still thinks that Becky winning the title at Summerslam - given the natural story of redemption and her being a true babyface the crowd wants to actually get behind was the way to go...but, I have to say, it's definitely true that her turning on Charlotte has, as Loss pointed out, suddenly turned her into this unbelievably hot and dynamic character, perhaps more so than if she had actually won the title but still stayed as Charlotte's lovable sidekick.

I've long been a big Becky fan, and the last two weeks on Smackdown she feels so authentic as the hardworking character that tried to play by the rules for so long only to be passed over every time for the darling of the company with the famous last name, that now she's snapped and channeling that to take on the world. As Mad Dog says, I think so many people are reacting positively because they saw her beating Charlotte down as a moment when the downtrodden and oppressed finally stood up for themselves, rather than 'boo!, she sneak attacked her'. Even the commentators haven't - for now - seemed to go all in on what a despicable act it was as they normally would do. I really liked Byron saying two weeks ago that it was all a big shame it had to turn out this way - not supporting the action but in some way understanding it, which is the approach I think they should take with this. If (and this is a massive if) they don't try to fight too much with the crowd, and don't turn Becky into a 'your local sports team sucks' generic heel, I think they could have something really special here with her.          

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic