Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-09-07-NJPW-Road to Destruction] Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs Tomohiro Ishii & Will Ospreay

paul sosnowski

Awesome twenty minute exhibition of all action, highlighting some of the best that these four guys can do. A hot Kouraken crowd made even better by action that kept escalating and escalating makes this a must watch. Some best spots? The Stereo Golden Triangles, the OsCutter into a V Trigger, and pretty much any of Omega and Ishii's interactions. I think Omega has the benefit of having shown the best chemistry with most of the New Japan main eventers. He's really the best opponent for most of these guys which makes his run with the belt incredibly exciting. Can't wait for the Ishii title match.

****1/4

Omega's definitely the best at finding interesting ways to interact with different guys. Thought this was a surprisingly great tag match, and Ospreay seemed really comfortable in there with Omega and Ibushi. Based on the next night as well, they seem to be moving toward Ospreay-Ibushi, and I'd be very excited for that match.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-09-07-NJPW-Road to Destruction] Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs Tomohiro Ishii & Will Ospreay

Loved this. Was every bit the high octane balls to the wall action you'd expect from having these four in the same ring. Compared to the Tanahashi and Okada tags where everyone sort of felt like they were taking it easy, everyone busted their ass to make this a ppv caliber bout. I thought Ospreay was great in this match and proof that the juniors shouldn't just be the fall guys in these tags. Ospreay, KUSHIDA, and Hiromu would not feel out of place at all against the heavyweights.

Tag team spot wrestling at its finest. ****1/4

You don't usually see amazing matches like this tag match on Road To shows. Of course, considering the talent involved, all of whom have had multiple MOTYC, it was expected for this match to be tear down the house. I have to give the MVP award to Ospreay of all people in this match because he really delivered on the offense he was allowed. He took the opportunity and made himself seem equal to his partner and his opponents. Just thinking about it, this might be the best match of the tour, and it's just getting started, ****3/4.